We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taipei main station tips

Which Taipei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
216 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Taipei main station tips

Hi all, just to share my experience...the Taipei main station is really huge & one can easily be lost during ur 1st trip here. Imagine within this station, we got the MRT with an interchange between 2 main lines.We got the TRA station & we got the HSR station.On top of that, they got underground malls near the stations as well.

Do try to get ur self familiarize with the locations..

Access into the map of Taipei main station.

-goto passenger service,click metro guide

-goto route map & then click at Taipei main station for detailed map.

http://www.trtc.com.tw/e/

From the map it looks simple...but trust me,once u are there,it can be like a maze.....

TRA & HSR tickets can be bought either via counter or ticket machine....do take note.

WashingtonDC
Level Contributor
125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taipei main station tips

LOL! We found out how huge it was also ... at 7 pm ... we were wandering around trying to find a place to eat. We had 2 tired kids that were starving and the 4 adults starting to get grumpy... it took FOREVER to find our way to food.

Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
7,892 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taipei main station tips

Now a days, if you are hungry at the Taipei Main Station on Arrival from an overseas flight, Just go up to the floor above rhe Ticketing hall using the escalator. Lots of nice inexpensive food up there.

taipei
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taipei main station tips

Ya...I was really confused.Keep having the idea I ended up at the opposite platform from where I alighted even though I've taken the escalator and walked some distance.

Once I was so blur that I got out at Taipei station from Zhongxiao Dunhua Station, thinking I need to change platform for train to Ximen. Actually no need and it was only ONE stop away!

My advice-just follow the colour.The routes are all colour coded. To Danshui-red line. Ximen-Taipei-Zhongxiao- blue line.

Despite this, I am really impressed with their train system. Trains are so frequent even during off peak hours.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taipei main station tips

Thanks for the warning! I was on the wrong platform casually watching people boarding my train across the tracks. Just FYI, it's possible to make a mad dash up the stairs and down again before the train departs.

Another thing to note is Taipei Main Station exits:

RED EXITS - from MRT stations

BROWN EXITS 1~10 - from Station Front Metro Mall to Zhongxiao W. Rd.

BROWN NORTH Exits N1~N13 - from Taipei City Mall to Civic Blvd. north side

BROWN SOUTH Exits S1~S12 - from Taipei City Mall to Civic Blvd. south side

home.trtc.com.tw/INFO92/Lmap.asp?SID=051

And that's not including the ground floor N, S, E & W exits of Taipei Railway Station. It's no wonder people have gotten lost trying to exit to Hochezhan!

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taipei main station tips

"Mad dash" is in reference to the Taipei Railway Station platforms, not MRT.

6. Re: Taipei main station tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 05:21