We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top sights in 1 day? Worth an extra stay?

Which Taipei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Top sights in 1 day? Worth an extra stay?

I'll be coming to Taipei on business in October. This will be the start of a 10-12 day trip to multiple countries within Asia. I'm wondering if its worth it to come to Taipei a day early to see any sights ahead of time? I'd only like to do this if there are really things worth seeing, as it will be a long time away from home even without the extra day, but I certainly don't want to miss anything worthwhile.

My business colleagues tell me there's not much in the area other than the tallest building and National Palace Museum.

This is my first trip to Taiwan and any tips are appreciated.

Thank you!

hualien
Destination Expert
for Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top sights in 1 day? Worth an extra stay?

It really depends on what u want to see.

Most of the scenic sights would be hours away so not do-able as a day trip.

Historic sites are mostly in the southern part of the island, eg Tainan, Kaoshiong.

Scenice site on eastern and central part.eg Sun Moon Lake, Taroko, Alishan etc.

hualien
Destination Expert
for Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top sights in 1 day? Worth an extra stay?

BTW, the tallest is tallest no more, out witted by a tower in Dubai since last year.

Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
7,884 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top sights in 1 day? Worth an extra stay?

101 is still the Tallest Building - Occupied.

The one in Dubai still has time to completion e.t.c.

Since it closes after 10.30pm , you can always visit it after your appointments in the Evening. It has a great food court in the basement for you to try some nice food.

Take time to visit a night market, it is worth the experience at least once.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Top sights in 1 day? Worth an extra stay?

It depends if you are interested in Chinese culture, art, people and cusine. The dynamics of Taipei is not seen in any of the US cities. There are the modern and high-tech perspectives such as the Taipei 101, the bullet train and the trendy SOGO department stores. There are also the traditional night markets and old streets to explore. Taipei has the best cusine of all whether it is Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Western foods if anyone has an appetite for it. The architecture of Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall and Dr.Sun yat-sen memorial Hall is worth seeing. Some of the attractions outside Taipei are also worth visiting.

Singapore
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Top sights in 1 day? Worth an extra stay?

Welcome to the forums, CaboGirl. Also, welcome to exciting Asia! :-)

A sizeable portion of forumer-visitors within these Taiwan forums are from Singapore—another country in Asia— as I am.

What's worthwhile to be in & do in Taiwan, Taipei? What are the things that made Taiwan, Taipei distinct from the rest of Asia?

Dig into these forums pgs n certain ideas spring out loud & similar.

Besides places of interest like the Taipei 101 & National Palace Museum already mentioned, IMHO Taiwan can be noted and enjoyed for her,

• cuisine (also mentioned),

• Night markets,

• bustling (even chaotic as some may say) city scape,

• cheerful & friendly people..

U'll be able to experience these distinctive flavours of Taiwan - even in a (well-planned) 1-day's visit.

Should U be able to fit in more days to explore further, U may discover more of Taiwan in her Hotsprings, places of natural beauty.

Huan ying ni! *

TA :-)

TaipeiDreams.com

* Welcome in Chinese. :-)

6. Re: Top sights in 1 day? Worth an extra stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 07:38