We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English spoken?

Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
English spoken?

Do people in taipei speak english well? I can't speak mandarin or any other chinese dialect. Should I go join a tour and not by myself? Is there any theme park where children can have some rides?

Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English spoken?

Within Taipei City=All Signs on Street-MRT -Most Buses in English/Chinese

Free city county Maps in English at the Tourist info counter and the MRT info Counter

Taiwan Theme Parks:

http://www.themeparks.net.tw/eng/index.asp

How old are your kids??

Mentioned in this post
Taipei City Hotel
Taipei City Hotel
112 Reviews
Datong, Taipei
Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English spoken?

Thank you for your info. The girl is 10 yo and the boy is 11. By the way, do bus drivers and mrt officers speak english, just in case we ask for direction?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English spoken?

Weyling, I have just returned from a fantastic 10 day trip to Taipei. It was my first time there and I would highly recommend it to visit. BUT, my biggest problem was communicating. I only speak English and my Mandarin is limited to Chi Chi and Ni Hao and a few other basic words. The staff at my hotel spoke broken English, so communicating with them was also difficult.

Nuttyazn is totally correct. Most signs are in Mandarin and English. BUT, dont expect most people to speak English. Especially taxi drivers and shop attendants. In fact, when ever I went in a taxi, I had to have the destination written in Mandarin.

Fortunately, I made some good friends with a couple of locals who are English teachers and they were able to interpret everything for me. Without their assistance, I would of found it very difficult. Even though communicating was an issue for me, most locals will try their best to understand you.

You will enjoy Taiwan........it is a great place to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
hualien
Destination Expert
for Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English spoken?

No, people here do not speak English well; this is basically a monolingual country, just like Korea, Japan, China etc. Getting around won't be too much of a hassle but communication would be difficult. Wether you need a guide will depend on your tolerance, basically, if you do a bit of homework prior, like getting the transport mapped out, tickets figured out, you would probably be OK.

Mentioned in this post
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: English spoken?

Hi Weyling,

Welcome visit to Taiwan.

Communication, language barriers wont be a big problem during travel. Feel free to meet us when you visit to Taiwan and we hope to introduce this beautiful Formosa to you! However, if you need book tour with English speaking guide, just leave a message here, I think there are many forummers will help you so!

Hope you will enjoy trip in Taiwan soon.

Cheers

Topology Travel

http://www.topologytravel.com/

Mentioned in this post
Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English spoken?

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English spoken?

They have a translation service that you can call for free (0800024111). My minsu owner in Alishan used them whenever they need to answer my questions that cannot answered by a simple sign language :).

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English spoken?

AltonHongKong, I wish I had of known about that number before I went to Taiwan.

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: English spoken?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 06:17