We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

Which Taipei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

I intend to go Taichung directly after touching down at Tao Yuan airport. Is it necessary to book HSR tickets in advance during December period? I am traveling on weekday and thought of buying tickets at the HSR station. But not sure is it safe to do so.

Another reason for not booking tickets in advance is i am not sure how much time is needed to clear clear custom and collect baggage.

Has anybody just returned from Taiwan? Can you share your experience when buying HSR tickets at the station?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

Hi, I've just returned from Taiwan and yes, I bought HSR tickets from Kaohsiung to Taoyuan immediately upon reaching Taipei Main Station. Reason being our hotel was at Taipei Main Station and upon alighting from the bus, the first thing we saw was the HSR ticket counter and thought, "Why not just buy and get it done and over with?" In fact, we got an early bird discount of 10% or 15% I think.

Hmm, experience? Basically, buying the HSR tickets is just like buying movie tickets. You need to know what time you wanna travel and for which date. Tell it to the staff and ta-daa! It's done. I'm sure it's the same as buying it at Taoyuan Airport. Just need to know that HSR at Taoyuan is not in the airport, but a 20 min bus ride from the airport.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

You might wanna check this out. Click on Timetable and Fare search to have a better idea of the HSR timings.

http://www.thsrc.com.tw/en/index.asp

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

Hi Cloversez, how much time did u take to clear custom and collect baggage?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

Less than half an hour.

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

I travelled in the last week of Dec last year. Unless you are keen on the early bird discounts, if not, it's perfectly fine to purchase your tickets on the spot. HSR was not at all crowded, and there's no need to worry about availability. That was also the feedback I got from friends who travelled in other months.

The exception would be on the 1-2 days before and after public holidays. The HSR was at full capacity on New Year's Eve when I was there last year.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

Thanks msnakim

I should just drop the idea of buying tickets in advance. This issue is vexing me!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
8,677 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

You can opt for non-allocated (non-reserved) seat tickets which are valid for rides in carriages #10, #11, and #12 of any HSR train. Non-allocated seats must be purchased on the day of travel from ticket windows. They are slightly cheaper than allocated seat tickets.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

Can we buy HSR ticket online in advance ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

Arielina01

Yes. They give discount too. Check this link.

thsrc.com.tw/en/ticket/tic_time_search.asp

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I book HSR tickets in advance in Dec?

Suggest buy on the spot at the counter. You can see from the train website's schedule there are lots of trains running.