We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung

Which Taipei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
358 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Booking train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung

Hi,

How easy is it to book train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung? Will the staff at the ticket office be likely to speak English?

Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung

Very Easy & Yes they speak basic English:

www.thsrc.com.tw/en/ticket/tic_how_online.asp

UK
Level Contributor
358 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung

Thanks, Me^Only. That's good to hear! I noticed that tickets can be purchased from a vending machine as well. Will there be an option to select English as a language? I'll probably go to the ticket window and buy the tickets from there but it'll be good to know as a backup.

Would it be OK to buy the tickets as soon as I arrive at Taipei (a few days before heading off to Kaohsiung) or do they sell out quickly and best to buy online - something I prefer not to do.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung

Will there be an option to select English as a language?

===> I did not get the chance to use the HSR Ticket Vending Machine, so unable to advise U on that. (Hopefully someone Else who use it can help).

I still find it easier to go to any of the Ticket window & speak to a human :D

===> Easier to tell them Which seat I want (Window Seat) & facing the Direction of the moving Train :D.

Would it be OK to buy the tickets as soon as I arrive at Taipei (a few days before heading off to Kaohsiung)

===> U can definitely buy a few Days before heading off to Kaohsiung or Even on that day itself. It only abit risky, if it is a Holiday Public (Chinese New Year , School Holiday etc etc ).

Some Interesting Link for U to check thru:

www.tealit.com/article_categories.php…

sylistic.com/travel/…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICTs1JMpJGM

…xanga.com/757945974/…

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung

Review on Taiwan HSR:

tripadvisor.com.sg/Attraction_Review-g143386…

UK
Level Contributor
358 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung

Thanks again, Me^Only :) Some interesting links you've posted. It's reassuring that I don't need to book way in advance as I'll probably buy the train tickets when I arrive in Taipei rather than in advance online. I'm quite looking forward to a ride on the train!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
540 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung

The vending machines have an English option. You select the station you want to go to, confirm the number of tickets, and insert the cash / credit card into the machine for payment. Note that you need your PIN for credit card payment.

There are 3 types of tickets, and the vending machine will prompt you to select which one you like. There is Business, Standard, and Non-reserved. Standard and Non-reserved are the same seats but Non-reserved is in the last few carriages of the train where it is free seating. Non-reserved is the cheapest ticket available.

Services run very frequently, so you should not have any problems getting tickets on the spot unless it is a long holiday in Taiwan or you have a huge group. I've only encountered a completely full Non-reserved section once and even then, once the train leaves, you can still sit in any empty seats in the Standard section. Non-reserved tickets allow you to get on any train to that destination on that day.

All seats face in the direction of travel. The seats rotate around and the workers are supposed to do that for all carriages at the terminus before passengers board.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 16:02
UK
Level Contributor
358 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung

Thanks very much, hkg2009hkg. That's a really good explaination of how it works.

8. Re: Booking train tickets from Taipei to Kaohsiung

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 07:17