We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocket wifi

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
886 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Pocket wifi

Us, a party of five, will be traveling through Taiwan. Having multiple devices such as iPhones or iPads. I'm wondering if there is a place for me to rent a pocket wifi for use in Taiwan.

I've recently rented a pocket wifi for use throughout Japan, and it was very convenient and supported up to 5 devices at a time. Any info on its availability for rental in Taiwan will be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pocket wifi

Google search about "Taiwan pocket wifi rental" in Japanese, here is one from many sites. It seems that their service is similar as you had one in Japan. (TW$200/day, up to 5 devices, pick-up/return at airport and hotel.) They have English/Chinese webpages as well.

www.hipowerd.com/inbound/en/dw/1product.html

Email: service@hi-powers.com.tw

Edited: 16 June 2013, 05:56
Mentioned in this post
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pocket wifi

I traveled Taiwan for 10 days last month bringing with a tablet computer. And I didn't rent a pocket wifi because I had known that all my hotel has free wifi services.

In the country town, I soon found that 7-eleven convenience stores do free wifi service without PIN. (It may not needed, but I always bought something at 7-eleven for thanks when I use wifi.) And also some restaurants and coffee shops were free wifi services with asking their access numbers.

In Taipei, there is a promotion called "iTaiwan (愛台湾)". That is free wifi service for tourists. You need to do the registration in advance.

http://itaiwan.gov.tw/en/

go-taiwan.net/index.php/…180-2013-0521.html

I can't speak Chinese, so I use translation Appri(s) a lot. It was very nice to communicate with local people.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 06:30
Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
886 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pocket wifi

Junechan, thank you for the info. I googled "pocket wifi Taiwan" and didn't get any hits, so you are definitely better at web search than I am. I called the pocket wifi co in Taipei, but they are closed right now (Sunday). I'm thinking about signing up for iTaiwan gov website for free public wifi. Have you used it? Was the free iTaiwan wifi widely available or limited to government owned public spaces? because I don't anticipate that I will be visiting any government buildings for my trip.

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
United States
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pocket wifi

I use my iPhone or mac as hotspot.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pocket wifi

Honestly, I didn't sign up iTaiwan for my travel because I planned to use wifi only in my hotel rooms. So, I didn't used iTaiwan. However, I DID sign-up "TAIPEI-FREE," which is another free wifi service by Taipei City Government; I used it once. I used free wifi at 7-eleven a lot and had no problems.

iTaiwan is not only in government buildings. You can check hotspot locations.

http://itaiwan.gov.tw/en/hotspotQueryList.php

Check also "Taipei-Free.” This is another free wifi service supported by Taiwan City Government.

tpe-free.taipei.gov.tw/tpe/Hotspot_en.aspx

www.tpe-free.taipei.gov.tw/tpe/index_en.aspx

I inform you iTaiwan because the service is not only in Taipei. And the website is told that their users can use Taipei-FREE wifi. I saw iTaiwan signs at tourisity info and many Taipei-Free sign marks around Taipei city.

Free wifi @ 7-eleven convenience stores is sooooo convenient throughout Taiwan. I could find the store often even in rural area. (I traveled Taipei, Taichung, Taroko, SML, Alishan, Yongminshan etc.)

You must prefer hotels that have free wifi. My device showed that the hotel waves were stronger than other free wifi.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 10:11
Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Taipei City Hotel
Taipei City Hotel
112 Reviews
Datong, Taipei
Taroko Park
Taroko Park
208 Reviews
Qianzhen, Kaohsiung
Ali Mountain (Alishan)
Ali Mountain (Alishan)
627 Reviews
Xinyi Township, Nantou
6. Re: Pocket wifi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 19:00
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
886 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pocket wifi

Couldn't find weekly pocket wifi for rental as I had hoped, and since all hotels and places we stayed had wifi, I ended up getting a sim card for my iPhone for when I'm on the run between hotels and places that has wifi. The unlimited data sim card was cheap at NT$350 for 6 days, but needs two pieces of ID to apply.

8. Re: Pocket wifi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 19:00
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pocket wifi

Hi. Today, I have just found that Chungwha Telecom sells prepaid wi-fi cards; you can get their wi-fi service temporary. The cards are sold at Family Mart convenience store etc. or online. (7-day pass NT$299 or $269 online purchase, 3-day $199/179, 1-day $99/89).

Chngwha is the Taiwan nation's largest telecommunications company; so I believe their service is very reliable.

http://wifi.hinet.net/en/index.php

https:/…index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chunghwa_Telecom

Edited: 06 July 2013, 15:52
Mentioned in this post
los angeles
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pocket wifi

looks like a good deal but they didn'nt describe how fast is the download speed.