We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay in Taipei?

Which Taipei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
What area to stay in Taipei?

I'm travelling to Taipei for 5 days in October with my GF. We are in mid 20s and are very active, looking for busy area with good night life. thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay in Taipei?

My personal preference is either Ximending or City Hall station (near 101).

The former is busier but cheaper with lots of food and shopping. The latter is more upscale with many malls and just a stone's throw from the iconic 101.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
541 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay in Taipei?

101 is a dead area at night. Stay close to Hsimending. If that place is not busy enough at night, hop on the MRT and head north to the Shilin night market.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay in Taipei?

Every year my wife and I stay in an area near the Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT station (not sure the district, between Songshan and Xinyi on the map) which is plenty busy with young adults late into the night and early morning. Restaurants, clubs and bars are scattered about. I've witnessed drunk people being helped by their friends stumbling about.

Pretty much most of Zhongxiao East Road and sidestreets are busy nightly in my experience. Enjoy Taiwan, food is cheap and it is hard not to find an area without a place to eat or shop. Hope this helps.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay in Taipei?

Thank you all. Are these areas you recommended (ximending, hsimending, songshan, xinyi) relatively close to each other?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,996 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area to stay in Taipei?

Look at Google Map, pick one of the Area like XiMenDing (Search for XiMen MRT) & look from there.

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What area to stay in Taipei?

You can get to these places easily by the MRT trains. It's cheap too! You pay by the number of stops. The signs and announcements on the trains are in English and Chinese. The stations are clean and the trains are usually spotless. There are bathrooms in the stations as well. There is cellular service in the stations and in the tunnels, but you never hear people talking loudly on the phone.

Here are the links to the MRT route map and fare information:

english.trtc.com.tw/ct.asp…

english.trtc.com.tw/ct.asp…

7. Re: What area to stay in Taipei?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:18