We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

5 posts
Save Topic
Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

Hi,

A few friends and I will be visiting Thailand and Cambodia in a few weeks, and we were a tad confused about what kind of Thai visa to apply for. Ww'll be in Bangkok/Koh Samet for three days, then in Siem Reap for three days and then again in Bangkok for two more days.

When we visited the VFS (agency that handles Thai visas in New Delhi) office, their representatives told us that since we'll be visiting Bangkok for a couple of days before flying to Siem Reap, and after three days we will take a flight back to Bangkok before flying back to India a couple of days later, we should apply for double-entry transit visas. I'm not too sure about the advice as I came across a post by another Indian gentleman who received a transit visa with a "void" stamp from the Thai embassy in Delhi.

I'd be grateful if someone could help us out. Should we apply for the double-entry transit visa or go for a single-entry tourist visa and get a re-entry stamp at the airport on our way out to Cambodia?

Thanks!

26 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,076 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

You will need a double entry, and you will be entering Thailand twice, and not transiting as you said you will be staying over 24 hrs.

And tbh, I would tend to belive an official source such as a visa service, more so then randoms on a public forum.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,288 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

If you travel within a few weeks the cheapest solution is a single entry tourist visa paying only VFS fees since embassy is waiving visa fees until end of August and then a re-entry permit on the airport before flying to Siem Reap (be there at least 3 hours before departure). Or if you do not want to keep visiting VFS you can get a visa on arrival both times you arrive in Thailand (2 * 1,000 baht).

Edited: 03 March 2017, 00:52
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

Confusing when there is a duplicate post isn't it?

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

Dear Sankalp, I too am in a similar fix. We too are having a similar itinerary. Assuming you have been there already and would have had knowledge about the same, it shall be great if could through some light on this issue.

did you go for double entry transit visa or did you apply for single entry visa twice. Also if you applied for single entry- did you apply for transit visa or tourist visa?

will be really grateful if you could revert back.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,082 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

I think you need either two visas-on-arrival or a single-entry tourist visa for the first entry and later a visa-on-arrival. In any case the fees are now back to normal: 1000 baht for single-entry tourist visa and 2000 for visa-on-arrival.

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

Thanks for your reply. But it would be great if you could expand on - single entry visa and visa on arrival? what is the difference between them?

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,082 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

Please read: https://thailand971.wordpress.com/

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
218 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

Hi. What did you finally Do?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

What someone else did may not be the same as what is best for you or even what is possible after changes in visa rules which are fully explained in the link in reply #7 You would be better starting a new topic of your own with your particular questions.

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi

Ok so i have an update! For people travelling from india, i have realised that its best to apply for visa before hand itself to avoid any last minute trouble. When i called up the embasy in India they were very clear about double entry transit visa- which was cheaper as well. But since i ran out of time i could not avail that. Rather i went with visa on arrival. People at the Bangkok airport don’t understand any other visa other than “visa on arrival”. Thus when u enter you have to take this. Its for 2000 bhat per person. If you want to travel abroad and then coming back to thailand ( all with in a period of 15 days) you can ask for re-entry visa just before the immigration on the day u r travelling abroad. This has to be done on the same day u are travelling abroad and cant be done before that. Also to be very honest- i had a lot of trouble seeking this visa, as the person there just almost dint want to offer me one. She infact also told me- that i was lucky today as she was there and she issued it for me but tomorrow there will be another officer and may be he will not issue. But one has to be adamant and insistant while also being v polite at the same time to avail this. Also on my return the immigration officer kept checking my visa for almost 20 mins as he was clueless how things would work with this visa. He made couple of calls and also asked couple of other officials. Anyways it was all sorted. This was another 1200 bhat. If you arent alloted this by any chance u shall have to take another visa on arrival ie 2000 bhat.

Reply to: Double-entry transit visa or tourist visa and re-entry permi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted