We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

Myself, husband and two children (ages 11 & 8) are going to Thailand over Christmas. We have a flight arriving in krabi on the 18th and we're planning on going to ko kradan for 2 nights, then on to ko ngai for 2 nights and then ko lanta for 5 nights (over Christmas). I've booked accommodation but they can be cancelled (apart from ko lanta). I'm just wondering if I'm trying to fit in too much? I'd already booked the flight to krabi as we were planning on railay beach, then ko lanta, but then i decided I wanted to go to the trang islands to experience smaller, less visited islands. Am I better off staying 4 nights in ko kradan, leaving ko ngai, or should I stick with my original plan of staying more around the krabi region and going to railway beach, or elsewhere? Or does my plan sound ok? Advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
12 replies to this topic
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,670 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

Kradan and Ngai are lovely, but the timings are very short. I suggest you pick one or the other so you have a bit of time to relax and explore the environment. With only two "nights" each, you're spending mopst of your time packing up and leaving.

The kids might like Paradise Lost on Koh Kradan, otherwise known as "Wally's Jungle Camp."

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Lost
Paradise Lost
151 Reviews
Ko Kradan, Thailand
Koh Kradan
Koh Kradan
360 Reviews
Ko Kradan, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

Kradan is small. Very little to do. Same with Ngai. More suited to couples laying about. Krabi and Lanta are better for families.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,670 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

There's plenty to do on both islands for an 11 and 8 year old, certainly for 4 days. The beach to begin with, which is endless entertainment for kids - beach crabs, sand castles, learning to snorkel etc. Plus there are walks in the forest and visiting the monkeys and/or monitor lizards. And there are boat excursions possible. Lots to do.

Level Contributor
286 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

Can you do kayaking off Koh Ngai? I know you can kayak in Krabi but I want to go somewhere with clear water.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Ngai Resort
Koh Ngai Resort
203 Reviews
Ko Ngai, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

"beach crabs, sand castles, learning to snorkel etc. Plus there are walks in the forest and visiting the monkeys and/or monitor lizards. And there are boat excursions possible. Lots to do."

That is 2 days worth.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,670 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

Or two months worth.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

Took 5 mins to walk across Kradan. Need about 50 books to last 2 months there.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,670 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

It's a jewel of an island, with stunning vistas and beaches, phenomenal snorkeling and thick rain forest. A place to slow down, "sniff the roses" and just watch the waves roll in.

Put kids on a beach and they find plenty to do. Chasing the beach crabs can occupy most of a day.

It's a long, thin island. At its widest point it's a nice hike up over the hill, through the forest and down to another gorgeous untouched beach. I don't remember, 45 minutes maybe? A whole afternoon including a stopover to visit at Wally's Paradise Lost and eat a lunch of fresh grilled baracuda.

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Lost
Paradise Lost
151 Reviews
Ko Kradan, Thailand
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

Thanks very much for your thoughts on this. Spending time in the beach, snorkelling and relaxing does sound ideal. I assume we can visit another island for a day from kradan if we want a change? We will be going to lanta after which as I understand is busier and bigger, so will have enough time to be more active then, and after that it's Chiangmai with lots planned!

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,670 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai

You could join a snorkeling tour by speedboat to Koh Rok. I've found with these trips, that they don't stop in each location long enough to get to know the terrain. And usually although the sea is like glass when you start in the morning, the wind usually picks up in the afternoon and it's a rough trip back. This is something your hotel desk can arrange for you on a next-day basis.

Reply to: Ko Kradan, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted