We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Thailand

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to see Thailand

I am 24 and planning a trip with my wife to Thailand for around 8 days. What would be the best route to take to see the country? I thought about arriving in Bangkok and staying about 3-4 days then taking flight/overnight train to Chang Mai for a couple days. Should we then try to fly down to Phuket to see the southern part? We are trying to stay on a budget and not spend too much $$, anyone have any tips of an itenerary to take?

Manchester
Level Contributor
458 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to see Thailand

Flying between places in thailand can be quite cheap and save a lot of time.

Check out www.airasia.com and www.bangkokair.com . Flights can be as little as $30 one way depending on promotions.

It might be better to concentrate on Bangkok and 1 other place - depending on what you are after. Chiang Mai and surrounding area is very scenic and you can easily spend a few days here. The beaches in the south are equally as nice and there are some stunning locations. If you try and do too much travelling in the short space of time you may not get chance to relax and enjoy whats around you.

Phuket is nice enough but have you considered the Krabi region or Koh Samui? There are lots of islands around Krabi such as Koh Phi Phi and really beautiful beaches (around Railay and surrounding islands).

Wherever you do decide to go though you will have a wonderful time and you will definitely be wanting to go back to see more.

We will be going back to Thailand in November - our 4th time - and still there is plenty we want to see that we havent already done so.

St.Louis
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see Thailand

8 days isn't that long so i would keep it at two destinations. If you want the water and beach , you should save chiang mai for another time. If you take the train be sure to bring ear plugs for the overnight the train can be quite noisy witht the clickity clack and all. Be sure to catch the sunrise from the dining car and its open windows. Sunday bazaar in chiang mai is worth it going . Also, motorcycles are a great way to do chiang mai if you have some experience riding. Be sure to arrive 45 minutes early for any airasia flight, if you come late, at all, forget it you'll have to rebook and repay . I know i got to the airport gate 30 minutes early and the gate was closed....needless to say I was a bit infuriated when i had to rebook and pay for another flight . Have fun.

3. Re: Best way to see Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 10:19