We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 Days in Thailand - please help!!

Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
20 Days in Thailand - please help!!

Hi all

My boyfriend and I are planning our first time Thailand trip from December 13 - January 3. Our itinery is below. Would LOVE any advice on whether we've planned to do too much, as afterall, it's meant to be a relaxing getaway!! Also, if we've chosen areas you wouldn't recommend or areas we've overlooked.

Thanks ever so much :)

DAY 1 - 2 Fly into Bangkok, head via bus to Pattaya. Stay two nights.

DAY 3 - 9 Trip commencing in Bangkok that goes north to Chaing Mai then a three day Hilltribe trek, back to Chaing Mai then end in Bangkok

DAY 10 Overnight in Bangkok

DAY 11 - 14 Phuket including a day trip to Phi Phi Island

DAY 15 - 16 Bus north to Khao Lak. Stay two nights

DAY 17 - 18 Bus(?)/Ferry over to Koh Samui. Stay two nights.

DAY 19 - 20 Travel by train back to Bangkok. Stay two nights.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 Days in Thailand - please help!!

Do a google search and read up on Pattaya... I would skip it (havent been there myself but have had plenty of reports)... and add those days onto Phuket or Samui... transport is pretty slow and you will take full day of travel between Khao Lak and Samui.... or cut out Samui or Phuket and concentrate on one... I would also fly back to Bangkok or you again will waste too much time with the train.

arctica
Level Contributor
927 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 Days in Thailand - please help!!

Too much travelling and long distances, imo. Travelling all the way to Samui for just a 2 nights stay, does not sound like a relaxing getaway to me.

If you e.g. cut Pattaya and Samui and consentrate on Phuket and Khao Lak instead, you will have more time to enjoy and explore each place. And it is not far from Krabi if you like to go there for a few days too see more of the area than just Phi-Phi. If you do, I will recommend Ao Nang and Rai Ley.

When it comes to accommodation, remember it will be peak season and many hotels are fully booked.

Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 Days in Thailand - please help!!

Hi all

We've made some amendments to the plans! Things are looking a little more relaxing now. Have also cancelled Pattaya. Were warned against it!

Thanks very mjuch for your advice.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 Days in Thailand - please help!!

Yes as others have said,drop Pattaya.Another thing i'd do is instead of returning back to Bangkok after CM,is to fly CM to Phuket direct with Thai Air (one flight daily around 2pm),cuts out a lot of travelling and i'd also drop Samui and spend those 2 nights on Phi Phi.

Drop the train back to BKK,it's something like 8-10 hours,that's an extra day in Phuket and catch a 1 hour flight late afternoon.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 Days in Thailand - please help!!

Yes, in this instance, perhaps drop Pattaya. But do not let ''reports'' put everyone off!

The Nightlife is in one main street and there are family hotels and some very expensive Resorts about the area too.

It is like judging Phuket by talking Patong/Bangla Road - not strictly accurate.

Have a great holiday and enjoy it all!

stalybridge uk
Level Contributor
456 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 Days in Thailand - please help!!

hi duncan its a shame that you cancelled pattaya if you have a open mind its fun,ive been with my girlfriend and as a single lad .Ive also been to all the island s that you mentioned.To be honest you should judge for your self, but if you go to thailand again ,why not go there if only for a couple of days to see what you think.Night life is great but like you said you want a relaxing holiday ,so may be pattaya next time .Enjoy your holiday

7. Re: 20 Days in Thailand - please help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 03:20