We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand first timers

CORIAN5
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand first timers

Hi, i wonder if you can assist me.

my girlfriend and i are thinking of going to thailand for the first time - we are both nearly 40 enjoy a bit of luxury and culture love snorkling and lying by the beach - we love to go out in the evenings, eat locally and shop for nik naks - and lively bars.

Now this is the crunch.... which is the best place that you guys would recommend to visit which kind of incapulates all these things - also are there any hotels you would recommend.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand first timers

get a guidebook (Lonely Planet, fer starters) and get your "legs". Do the research, and then you will be able to choose what you like and what will fit your budget and timeframe.

CORIAN5
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand first timers

Gee thanks for your help in this subject next time i'll not bleeding bover asking the "forum" next time i get asked i'll say "read bleedin' lonely planet" christ on a bike

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand first timers

I haven't gone to Thailand yet myself ( we go in January), but I have done a TON of research on it. I'm not entirely sure you can get everything you want in one place. Most of the cultural hot spots are more in central and northern Thailand from what I understand. ( Ayuthaya, Sukothai, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Lopburi, Lamphun etc). Whereas the beaches and snorkelling hotspots are in the south. Pattaya is only 2 hrs from Bangkok.. though from what I read, very touristy. But theoretically you could get your culture while in and around Bangkok and then go to Pattaya for beach if you don't want to move around a lot.

Domestic airfare (as well as trains/buses if you prefer) are very cheap from one place to another. You can check out Air Asia, Thai Airways for examples of pricing, but generally from 500-3000 bht per flight which is dang cheap and gets you around fast. If you don't mind moving around ( as opposed to staying in the one place), you could spend some time in Bangkok, go up north to Chiang Mai, then fly down south to the islands for some beach/snorkelling time. How long are you thinking of going to Thailand for?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand first timers

Gee, Corian, no need to be bitter. It's just that this is not a travel agency, so why do you expect us to plan your trip for you when we HAVE NO IDEA what interests you, how long you plan on staying, or even what your budget may be. Thailanf ain't a teenly little island like Okinawa, it is a HUGE COUNTRY!!!

I just said "LP" off the top of my head. Get a Frommer's, what the heck do I care. At least a guide book will give you general ideas, weather information, and basic price ideas.

Incidentally, domestic flights are NOT cheap anymore, with the recently-upped fuel surcahrges. I will be flying to Ko Phanang in December and it is 4000 baht one-way, per person.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,762 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand first timers

Maneki-san, prices to Koh Samui on Bangkok Airways (or Thai as well since it finally got permission to fly the route) always were about that expensive, because Bangkok Air owns the airport and there's a monopoly situation. Compare with Air Asia to Surat Thani for instance. But other domestic destinations can be dirt cheap, depending how far in advance you book. This may be changing with 1-2-Go out of the piucture and Nok Air on the ropes, though. Tip: Bangkok always heavily discounts the price of the first and last flight of the day.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand first timers

Yes, Bill, I know about the first/last discounts. I'm also considering the catamaran, but time is money! (10 hour ride)

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand first timers

Meh, coming from Canada, I still consider 4000 bht relatively cheap for flying. For us to fly the same distance in Canada, we're looking at paying twice that or more unless you really REALLY luck out. Chances of paying less or equal to that are pretty much slim to none.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand first timers

Check out the Canada-Bangkok flight prices at present, THEN add on that 4000 baht! My tickets from Japan to Laos via Bangkok in September are $935, up from the $770 I paid for exactly the same route 3 weeks ago! For me, time is money, so I'd still opt to cough up the cash and fly...

Rayong
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand first timers

Hi CORIAN5

I advice you at Koh Samui(Samui Iseland)on Chaweng Beach or Lamai Beach very beautiful and has many of snorkelling and diving trips but will surround of bars and pubs at Chaweng Beach than Lamai Beach or at Phuket Island has many accommodation like shopping malls,Department stores,Markets etc...

I'm seeked in hotels2thailand.com but you can seek in the hotel website by the name of the hotels that you interested or in kohsamui.org etc....Bon Voyage

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand first timers

Hi Corian5 - I'm puzzeled how your innocent request got off track and onto the cost of airfare, but although I've been to Thailand for several weeks each time, we're not beach or bar people. However, my suggestion is look at the different forums for Phuket etc and read some of the different posts that may be relevant. Also, google the different locations you may be interested in to start getting a feel.

You don't need to spend too much in Thailand to get some luxury accomodations, but then what some Brits and Aussies consider reasonable prices, from Canada they seem outrageously expensive. We have stayed in places from $20 US to $100 US. Some of the cheaper ones were in Golf resorts last Nov and they were pretty posh.

THere is some pretty awesome eating just off the street. A recent post recommended watching for busy stands and ones where the Thai's buy from. They are sure to be good if the Thai's eat there and if they are busy. Night markets have some great eats too, but I'm not impressed with roasted beetles!

How long do you plan to go for, are you wanting to travel around some or just stay put, when do you plan to travel. Post some questions in the relevant forums as well.

Contrary to what Maneki-neko says, lots of people get help planning their trip on these forums. I try and help a lot in the Canada forum as well and I've seen some pretty detailed itinerary's given by some very helpful folks.

Happy planning and enjoy your holiday in Thailand - you'll be planning trip two before you leave!