We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Travel Show: Departures- Thailand Episode Question

Montreal
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian Travel Show: Departures- Thailand Episode Question

I watched a recent Season 1 Episode of the really interesting Travel Show called "Departures" where Scott and Justin travel to Thailand.

My question is to anyone who has seen this Episode. Scott and Justin took a train from Bangkok, and travelled to a city they called "Utia"(sp). The train ticket only cost them $1Canadian and it was basically only a day-trip, a full day at that.

I know that the city name is either spelled wrong or they called it a wrong name (or both) because I have searched high and low for this place with no luck.

They described this city as the old Capital of Thailand. Once in Utia(?) they hired a trike driver to show them some of the sites of the city. One site was an old temple, another was a very old tree that has a face carved in the roots. This was only a day trip because they were back at the train station at dusk in time to catch a train back to Bangkok.

Does anyone know what city I am talking about, or has someone seen this episode of Departures and can tell me where they went?

Any info would be a HUGE help to me since I leave for Bangkok in two weeks and this day trip looked like something I reeeeaallly would like to do.

Thanks in advance. :)

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Travel Show: Departures- Thailand Episode Question

Ayutthaya. I think I have seen it spelled Ayuthaya as well.

Mentioned in this post
Ayutthaya
Ayutthaya
Ayutthaya Province, Thailand
BKK
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Travel Show: Departures- Thailand Episode Question

Look at the pictures from these web pages. Are they the same as you watched?

www.thailandhighlight.com/index.php…

www.thailandhighlight.com/index.php…

Montreal
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Travel Show: Departures- Thailand Episode Question

Jnhdrac & Donsky,

Yep that's the place. Wow was I really off with the spelling or what. LOL.

I'm just glad someone could figure it out.

So has anyone taken the train from Bangkok to Ayuthaya? How long is the ride, what train do I take?

Any other info about the train station, the train ride to Ayuthaya or the sites of the city would be a HUGE help.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
4. Re: Canadian Travel Show: Departures- Thailand Episode Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 17:18