We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
730 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

It may seem a bit silly to plan so far ahead but I'd like to visit Thailand in 2010. (My youngest will be out of college!) There will be 5 of us - 3 adults, a 13yr old & an 8 yr old.

Reading the "Before You Go" says the best time is around Christmas which works well for us, but if there's a better time to go I'd like to know.

Please offer other opinions/advice on:

How long to stay? (Is 10 days enough?)

Best places to stay? (Is moving around suggested?)

Is it better to stay in a hotel(s) or rent?

MUST do's

If you have, why do you keep going back? What are your fondest memories?

Thanks,

Tracee

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
730 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

I realize everyone is busy with trips in the present, but won't someone answer?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

Hi Tracee

Thailand is not as big as the USA, but it is huge.

Turn the question around - somebody wants to go to America with their family. You have no idea who they are or what they enjoy doing. Where do you start?

My suggestion is to read through the Thailand forum - there are many excellent trip reports from many devotees of Thailand. This should give you a good idea on what to except and what you could do with the available time. Match this with your families likes and dislikes, and then come back to the Forum with detailed questions to help you with your venture.

& in response to your 'silliness', we are planning our 2010 trip before starting our 2009 one.

cheers

bfg

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

Hi Tracee

1 other thing - post in the Bangkok forum, not the generic Thailand forum. you should get a better response.

cheers

bfg

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
730 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

Thanks for the response bfg.

Guess you're right, if someone were to ask me such vague questions about the States - I'd be writing forever with suggestions & such...

It's just that there's soooo much info here I wanted to pinpoint some of my queries. Didn't quite know where to begin.

Tra

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

Hi Tracee,

We have been to Thailand and are planning a trip next December with our 3 children. It will be their first trip. It is cheaper to fly into Bangkok. Depending on how much time you have, you may want to spend time in Bangkok (2-3 days), Chang Mai (3-4 days) and if you have time, a trip down to Phuket or Koh Samoi in the South. Flights are cheap and short. I was just on the CDC website yesterday, and all three areas are no-risk malaria, so you will not have to bother with malaria drugs. There are big, luxurious hotels and fantastic, Thai-style guesthouses to consider. The people and food are amazing. Your family will love Thailand. We can't wait to go!

Loei, Thailand
Level Contributor
518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

O.K...I will have a go here.

By the sounds of it 10 days/nights is what you have in mind - If that is the case I would suggest Bangkok for the first 3 nights,the Phuket for 6 and then back to Bangkok for you trip home.To me that would be ideal for 10days.If you try to see too much it can start feeling a bit rushed,especially when there are 5 of you (and kids)

In Bangkok there is plenty to see and do - Grand palace,floating markets etc and of course the shopping.

In Phuket you have the beach and trips out to the various islands.Try a trip kayaking through the sea caves! So it is just a matter of jumping on the net and having a look.

I am up to trip #15 to Thailand since 2001.A lot of it for me is business,but I still love getting back there,they seem to enjoy their life and not take themselves as seriously as we do - even though they have less

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

Hi, I have been to Thailand 3 times, twice with my children. Last year my children were 9 and 11 and really enjoyed it. We have been to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. Koh Phangan and Koh Tao are the quieter of the 3 islands. Koh Tao the best for snorkelling/diving.

We love Thailand as the food is delicious, you can be pampered for a few pounds or dollers, the people are lovely, the beaches nice and the sea is really warm.

I think 2 weeks would be better. I'm not sure about December on the islands but I'm sure the rainy season is coming to an end in December.

I would reccommend travelling around to at least 2 places. If you went to the islands we went to you can island hop easily.We stayed in hotels and paid between 50 and 80 pounds per night. This is excellent value, some hotels even included breakfast. We have booked to go again this August so there,s definately something special there for us.

Hope this can be of some use, and feel free to ask if you require any more information.

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

Here goes:

10 days is OK but once you are there you'll wish you'd booked for longer!

I would personally move around as you'll get a better feeling for the islands. Koh Samui is great for nightlife and has loads of restaurants (chaweng) and is a good place for a few days, but I would recommend you visit Phangan and Koh Toa. They are all within a couple of hours of each other by boat. I would opt for hotels as there are ones to suit all budgets and rented properties can be out of the way.

My must does would be snorkel or dive at Koh Toa, chill out and eat great food!

My fondest memories are of great people, beautiful scenery, warm seas, great food and cold beers

9. Re: Planning Ahead for a Fantasy Trip - Family of 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 18:19