We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan?

I am trying 2 decide between these 2 islands for a 4 night stay over Xmas. This will be the our last stop after our 5 week adventure through Thailand and Vietnam before heading home, and we want somewhere with beautiful beaches, but also close to some nightlife. If you had to choose between the two, what would you pick?

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan?

It really depends on what kind of nightlife you want... Lanta has a pretty sedate nightlife, but does have a couple of nightclubs and bars on Long Beach mainly...

Ko Phangan has the full moon, half moon, black moon etc parties on Haad Rin Beach, but on the other side of the island it is very quiet.. with a few beach bars....

Depending on your age and requirements it would depend which one you go with, and what area of the island you end up at.

Both islands are great.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan?

We are in our late 20's/early 30s.....

We are looking for a beautiful beach (white sands, turquoise water, etc - its our first time to Thailand!) with reasonalby priced accomodation (we are fine with backpackers bungalows, etc) and some nightlife. We aren't sure about the full moon party so do not want to stay in Haad Rin if we choose Koh Phangan. We were thinking maybe Hat Salad or Ao Thong Noi Pan Noi...

Or would Ko Lanta be a better choice (or is there another island that we haven't thought of?)

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan?

Have a look through my blogs for some ideas.. I have been to both islands... www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet

I think that Ko Lanta is more 'coupley' but the nightlife on Lanta is about as quiet as the other beaches you mentioned on KPN. Both have a pretty sedate nightlife with a few beach bars (although Lanta had a cool little open air nightclub called Ozone)... to get nightlife on KPN you are better staying as close to Haad Rin as possible...

My opinion for 4 nights would be Lanta...

Stay at Relax Bay Resort in a VIP room if you can afford it, or the fan bungalow (dont do the air con rooms)... Rent a motorbike and explore the island (the roads are safe) .. do a day tour with Susannah and Sun of Lanta Long Tail Tours www.lantalongtail.com (amazing day)... party/eat/drink on Long Beach.. not far from Relax Bay Resort...

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan?

Have you considered Krabi? Perhaps one of the best beaches in the area being Railay. It can be a little isolated but is only a 10 minute lontail ride from Ao Nang. Depending on where you are travelling from you can fly direct into Krabi.

We have some pics, maps and stories of our trips to Ktabi, Lanta and Koh Phangan here... www.bobandjanette.com which may help

Happy & safe travels

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan?

THanks all! I think we are going to go with Ko Lanta! Appreciate all the input!

6. Re: Ko Lanta or Ko Phangan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 15:20