We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

Sudbury, Ont
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

Hi everyone ...my wife and I were scheduled to travel to Thailand in February but because of the unrest we cancelled. We are reconsidering going next year mid february to mid march.

I was wondering if Thailand is still a good destination to consider?

Looking for some input and thanks in advance for all the help.

Dan

Gronau, Germany
Level Contributor
804 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

Hi Dan,

Thailand will always be a good destination. There was no need to cancel your trip. The peaceful demonstration was only end November. (Had to stay one week extra, but was no problem for me). I even came back in March and planning now to come again in June. I love Thailand, the people and the food. So just go ahead and plan your vacation for mid February 2010.

Tony

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

Many millions of visitors every year and a great destination for so much variety and different things to see and do.

Always has been a good destination, no reason not to come.

Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

Jake

I am not sure why you would cancel your trip. I am a solo traveller and was in Thailand in Jan-Feb 2009. There is nothing to worry about except the scams that have been going on for years. You just have to be savy to them.

There has been conflict in Thailand for years but nothing that is going to disrupt your vacation, just stay away from where the protests are going on.

Sandy,

Calgary, Canada

Thailand
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

Thailand is still an excellent destination. Besides the short-lived airport fiasco of last year, tourist having been affected in no way. The demonstration they have going on in Bangkok, is at Government House which shouldnt been on your holiday itinerary anyway!

Why did you cancel?? Every country has demonstrations now and then..... how about a holiday in the UK, who has canceled their trip there since the fatal G20 demonstration of last week??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

I can't believe you cancelled your trip...That's taking it to the extreme!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,890 posts
1,773 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

I booked for Feb this year, last summer.

The demos in December did not put me off. We had a great trip to Thailand.

I doubt anybody in TA can tell you what would the political in Thailand be in Feb 10.

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

You cancelled your trip? I am here right now and it is fantastic!

Thailand is never truly at rest.

The only difference I have seen is the sea of yellow shirts don't seem to make an appearance like they use to on Mondays.

What a silly move, too bad for you.

Sudbury, Ont
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

Yikes...I am sure taking a beating for cancelling!!!! lol

We are going to Germany for two weks at the end of the month instead of Thailand, but, after reading all the favourably comments on here I booked tickets last night for our trip to Thailand next February for 27 days.

I will be on a lot looking for some advice from all the experts.

Thanks

Dan

P.S.(it was my wife that got antsy and wanted to postpone out trip. ssshhhhh dont tell her I ratted her out. hahaha)

Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

Your secret is safe with me ... lol

Like I mentioned earlier, I travelled 6 weeks by myself and was totally safe. It was amazing and can't wait for this January to go back.

Have a great time in Germany,

Sandy

Calgary, Canada

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand!!! is it still a good destination?

You know what?

We just returned from a couple of weeks in Thailand, and although there was no unrest and we didn't feel unsafe at all, we didn't love it. (it was *nice* but not *wow*)

Visitor numbers seemed to be down - in Phuket at least where we spent five or so days, there seemed to be very few tourists (lots of Iranians, very few *westerners*). Beach chairs were empty, market stalls were closed, Bangla road bars were scarcely patronised... Yes, that did make it pleasant and easy for us in some ways, but we also felt constantly beleagured for money, tours etc. I realise that this is typical - but because there were comparatively few tourists there, there was so much MORE pressure on the fat white westerner/walking Automatic Teller Machine. It did sour my tour a little - particularly as I didn't find it to be the super bargain hunter paradise that people seem to rave about. Maybe I just lack the female shopping gene...

So, my considered opinion is that the unrest, combined with the global economic turndown has significantly affected the Tourist economy. I don't think you will be unsafe, but I do think the situation will become more and more desperate for the Thai people who rely so heavily on the tourist industry, and that might translate into a less than wonderful experience for you. I guess it really depends where you go and what you are into.

good luck, caz