We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport

P-Town
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Passport

Does anyone know how long its taking for passports to get issued in the US?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport

Hi,

Exerpt from the US Department of State on this subject:

Processing times can vary depending on workload and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 10 weeks.

ROUTINE SERVICE

As of (Tuesday July 14, 2009 ), we are processing routine applications in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application.

EXPEDITED SERVICE*

As of (Tuesday July 14, 2009 ), we are processing requests for expedited service, that include overnight delivery to and from the Passport Agency, about 2-3 weeks door-to-door*.

Full text here:

…state.gov/passport/…processing_1740.html

Note that under limited, documented circumstances you can get expedited delivery, and if you apply at any of the regional passport acceptance offices-- it's possible for same-day service.. Note that there is a mandatory expedite fee associated with this..

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport

From talking to friends and my own experience, passports are being issued quickly. Everybody I have talked to has gotten it back within 1-2 weeks. This includes renewals and new issue passports. This is based on the experiences of at least 3 friends, and my son's renewal. None of us paid for the expedited service.

Having said that, refer to the above post for the official answer. If you must have it quickly, you may want to consider the expedited service.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport

Hi,

If you are planning on buying your airline tickets BEFORE you have your passport in hand-- I'd caution you on that..

Airlines can and will deny you travel for failure to have the proper documentation necessary for international travel.. Plus the reason of "delay in passport issuance" will generally not be sufficient grounds for a fee-free change of travel date or refund..

If you need is ASAP, my best advice is to file your application in person at the nearest office of the Passport Agency..

To file directly with a regional passport office, you MUST make an appointment (via phone) AND:

*Need a U.S. passport in less than 2 weeks for international travel, OR

*Need a U.S. passport within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa.

You will be asked for written verification of this need upon application.

Here's the link from the Passport Agency that lists all the regional offices and the process and restrictions:

…state.gov/passport/…agencies_913.html

P-Town
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport

thanks...

If I send for my passport and it is taking too long can I call in later and pay to have it expedited or do you only have the option when you first pay?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport

Hi,

No, you cannot "upgrade" the processing from normal to expedited once it's initially submitted...

So, you need to know when your travel date is-- if it's well far enough out-- beyond what the processing time is now (by the Passport Agencies calculations) then you'd be safe to use the traditional method..

However, if you've waited too long or your travel date is closer than that, you really have only one option-- to go with the Expedite processing-- and paying the additional expedite fee...

Note, that submitting expedited passport applications at a regional center is done ONLY with prior phone appointment AND written verification of need (based on the two metrics previously outlined)... The Passport Agency will turn you away if you arrive without an appointment and/or lack of documented rush need..

6. Re: Passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 06:17