We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing list?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Packing list?

This is our first trip to Thailand, so I am not sure what to expect. Our itinerary will be Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Soppong, Khao Lak and Ko Kradan.

Should we bring our mosquito nets with us or is this unnecessary?

Any tips on what not to forget beside the obvious clothing, camera, swimsuit etc.?

thank you.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing list?

Here's a starting list for you;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c16750/Thaila…

There's a lot of solid advice on the FAQ's at the top, right hand side of this "Thailand Forum" page. Take a look through them.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing list?

dont bother with the mozzie net ,you are unlikely to be able to put it up, i use a plug in device which you insert a mozzie killing tablet ,works for us..

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing list?

When is it that you are going? When we were there in January 2009 we were lucky if we saw a half dozen mosquitos in the 2 weeks we were there. We visited Chiang Mai ( where we saw probably 5 out of the 6 mosquitos lol), Bangkok, Khao Sok, Krabi. We did have mosquito spray though just in case. Though I'm sure in the wetter seasons the mosquitos can be quite a hassle so depending on when you are going, coils are a good idea.

Other than that, you'll want to have a small personal first aid kit, with bandaids, polysporin, tylenol or advil, aloe vera, and broad spectrum antibiotics if you want. Also an anitdiarrheal and gravol. We also brought some cold medications with us, just in case. And of course, any prescription meds.

Also have photocopies of your passport, drivers license, etc with you. Carry those around and leave the originals in your hotel safe or room's safety deposit box. We also got ourselves an online ( gmail , google, hotmail ) email account and sent copies of our important information to ourselves in the email ( so if both the photocopies and the originals were to disappear, we could still access another copy through our email). We also emailed all our travel itineraries, flight infos, hotel confirmations etc to our email for access in case we lost our paper forms. We didn't need it thankfully but it did work very well.

Hope this helps!

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing list?

HI

when ever i travel internationaly I use these old idioms.

pack every thing you think you need then take out half and leave at home.

"with thailand i would leave 2/3 at home. "

after you have set your budget for money to spend" double it "

have a great trip.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,353 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing list?

I agree you don't need to take your anti-mossie net with you but you do need to use mossie repellant as dengue fever is prevalent throughout Thailand. You may not see the mossies but they are there.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing list?

Thank you for great ideas! `we are leaving in 2,5 weeks, still looking for good repellent.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing list?

What no one mentioned SUNSCREEN LoL Your best holiday plans can be ruined by a little too much sun so slip, slap, slop on the sunscreen.

We have a packing guide here which may be of assistance... www.bobandjanette.com/packing.html

Happy & safe travels

Bob

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing list?

LOL I guess I just assumed that sunscreen would be a no brainer. :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing list?

Should we bring waterproof jacket along, since we will spend some time in Chiang Mai?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing list?

You will be going in the dry season ( not sure if you meant you are going in 2 weeks or 5 weeks, but regardless, it will be the dry season), so packing waterproof jackets will probably be unnecessary and just take up more space. If it does rain, it will probably be very short.