We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week Itinarary for Cambodia Thailand, Vietnam Please Help

Level Contributor
148 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
3 week Itinarary for Cambodia Thailand, Vietnam Please Help

Hi every one... Im planning a trip for a friend and I (2 girls in our early 20s) in june 2010 from Vietnam to Thailand over land in 3 weeks...

So far all that is booked is our flights to HCMC, I was hoping to get some feedback on our Itinarary please ... this is the plan so far.

Arrive HCMC late at night

day 1 - Vietnam sight seeing (markets /exploring)

day 2 - Vietnam cu chu tunnels

day 3 - Vietnam -nothing planned or possible travel

day 4 - bus to cambodia probably Phnom Penh (1 night there)

day 5 - bus to sihanoukville (2 nights)

day 6- relaxing at sihanoukville

day 7 - " at beach

day 8 - bus to Siam Reap (over night stay) or Battambang

day 9 - bus to Poipet (thai boarder crossing) train to Bangkok

day10 - bangkok (**Recomendations please** )

day 11 - bangkok

day 12 - bangkok

day13 - train to Surat Thani - ferry to Koh Samui

day 14 - Koh Samui - explore and relax

day 15 - Koh Samui - day trip (4wd up the mountin )

day 16 - ferry/bus/train to Phuket

day 17 - Phuket - explore and shop

day 18 - Phuket - day tour james bond island or Phi Phi

day 19 - Phuket - "

day 20 - fly back to australia

Should we make the trip out to sihanoukville or spend more time in Vietnam and other places in Cambodia, ?

If we do go there which would be best place to go to on day 8 or our stopover befor reaching the Thai borader?

Iv read heaps of posts on here about the boarder crossings and feel that we should be able to do them, we are also not planning on using tourist buses but local ones we want a low key /low expence travel over land to see as much as we can in 3 weeks.

Will this trip be safe for us do you think?

Iv been to Phuket and Koh Samui before (a week at each) and Im not a beach sitting person I would rather be on the move exploring... Iv also done these tours befor and know my friend will love them as I would again... hence why they are on the list... day 19 could possible be reallicated to a differnt location (ie move every thing forward a day to allow more time early in the trip)

Any recomendations on places or things to do at each destination would be great, are we missing somthing that is a must do?

I have also posted this in Cambodia and Vietnam Forums

Thanks in advance

Lanna Kingdom Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips, City Tours
Mandy Guide Smile
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Captain Bob's Cruise
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week Itinarary for Cambodia Thailand, Vietnam Please Help

My first comment would that from the Thai border (Aranyaprathet) take a bus rather than the train into Bangkok, its faster and more frequent service. The buses go to the city's Morchit Mai northern bus station, from where you can either take a slow local bus into the center, or take a short taxi ride to the BTS skytrain station at Morchit and ride the skytrain and enjoy the view.

Shame to miss Hanoi,a much nicer and more interesting city than HCMC.

For Bangkok suggestions, look at the Bangkok forum and the FAQs on the top right of that page. Lots of useful links and information.

Level Contributor
274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 week Itinarary for Cambodia Thailand, Vietnam Please Help

Hi there meosis,

personally I think you are crazy trying to jam so much into such a short trip.

I would drop second half of trip, or look into doing some internal flights, every time you travel overland in SE Asia you lose a whole day... So around about *8 days with your present itinery. Plus you need at least 3 whole days in Siem Reap to do it justice.

Sorry to be a downer, but I hope this helped.

Level Contributor
274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 week Itinarary for Cambodia Thailand, Vietnam Please Help

Agree with dragonc, Hanoi is great!

Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 week Itinarary for Cambodia Thailand, Vietnam Please Help

I agree with tjshannonigans. It would be such a shame to only spend 2 days in Saigon for your Vietnam leg and only one day in Siem Reap.

Overland travel is very slow in Asia and you have some long bumpy bus trips eating into your valuable time.

I would drop Thailand this trip and concentrate just on Vietnam and Cambodia. Something like.....

Saigon - 2 days

Hoi An - 4 days

Hue - 2 days

Hanoi - 4 days (incl Halong Bay)

Phnon Penh - 2 days

Sihanoukville - 3 days

Siem Reap - 3 days

We have some pics, maps and stories of our trips to the region on the link below that may assist.

Happy & safe travels

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 week Itinarary for Cambodia Thailand, Vietnam Please Help

Sorry but your itinerary is terrible.. .with 3 weeks only do 2 countries AT THE MOST.... if you are going to Cambodia give Siem Reap at least 3 days ... and skip the beach .. leave that for Thailand.. Or just do Vietnam/Cambodia...

Your friends will hate you by the end of that itinerary .. guaranteed!

I have a few 3 week trip ideas at my travel blogs you can look at...

Feel free to contact me for more details but rethink that itinerary seriously!

Level Contributor
79 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 week Itinarary for Cambodia Thailand, Vietnam Please Help

You really should not miss Angkor Wat and other temple sites in the Siem Reap area. It is well work at least 2 days - 3 days would be ideal.

If you want a great guide who will show you temples that most travelers do not get to see contact Mr. Sampoan Rath (Poan) at http://www.angkorwat-services.com/

His company has a full offering of wonderful ways to see Cambodia.

7. Re: 3 week Itinarary for Cambodia Thailand, Vietnam Please Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 08:16