We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Sok National Park - Where to arrive?

UK
13 posts
Save Topic
Khao Sok National Park - Where to arrive?

HI All,

I'm getting organised for my first trip to Thailand at the end of the month, but am a little confused...

I want to go to Khao Sok National Park, and stay on Cheow Lan Lake. I'll be catching the night train from Bangkok to Surat Thani, but i'm not sure exactly where to head after that. I'd like to end up somewhere where I can book accommodation on the lake and maybe a trek.

Do I just head for the Visitors Center? If I say Khao Sok to the buss driver, am I going to end up miles away from where I need to be!?

Thanks in advance.

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Sok National Park - Where to arrive?

I use www.limestonelaketours.com however if you want to do it yourself I would suggest the following:

Bear in mind the floating rafthouses is closer to ST than the actual Khao Sok NP main area.... however for ease of planning I would head to Khao Sok and stay at Arts Riverview, Our Jungle House or one of the other small guesthouses then organise an overnight trip to the lake from there (that is if you have more than one night to play with)...

I found it easier and almost as cheap as doing it myself to just use the above tour company... you dont have to use their private transfers .. just use the bus to get there.. but they have a brilliant Jungle Magic tour.... which is one night at Arts and one night on the floating rafthouses....

BUT here is how to do it yourself:

When you get off the train at Surat Thani DONT get a bus or transport to Surat Thani bus station... if you walk out of the train station and cross the road you will find the public buses stop right there... they leave ST bus station, then stop at the train station then head on from there.... its pretty easy to find... they usually are a blue/white bus (normal big bus size) and they park next to a restaurant directly across from the train station.. cant miss it!

You want to get on the PHUKET bus that goes VIA TAKUA PA. The bus sign will say "PHUKET VIA TAKUA PA" so easy to find! Although even the PHUKET VIA PHANG NGA bus will probably get you there too just thinking aobut it.. anyway just jump on a public bus to Phuket and tell bus driver or his assistant (the one you pay) that you want to go to Khao Sok NP. They will tell you when you are there!

When you get off the bus at KSNP you will be approached by accommodation touts... either pay about 50-100 baht (try go for 20-30baht) to get a lift to some accommodation.. tell them where you want to go unless you are open to their suggestions... OR walk.. I dont suggest walking .. I have done it in the heat and it ends up feeling alot longer than what it is! LOL

From your guesthouse you will be able to arrange transport/accommodation at the floating rafthouses (which is about an hour back along the road to Surat Thani) but this is probably the easiest method...

Alternatively you can tell them you want to get off at Chiaw Lan Lake. I am not sure where the visitors centre is from here but I am sure you can easily get a local to show you.. although I would suggest it would probably end up more expensive this way.... than doing through a tour operator or guesthouse.. might be harder to negotiate a price....

If you do a tour through Limestone Lake Tours you could book the tour, jump off the bus at CL Lake and get them to pick you up from the bus stop!

Anyway hopefully that makes sense... Khao Sok is amazing and well worth 3-4 days...

xx

UK
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Sok National Park - Where to arrive?

Thank you so much for posting. The info is very heplful.

I have seen the limestone lake tours website, but haven't booked anything yet asI wondered if I could get a better price if I booked when I get there.

Do you think it would just be better to book through Limestone now?

I've been reading your TravelBlog and have picked up a lot of useful information! Thanks!

Edited: 14 January 2010, 15:46
Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Sok National Park - Where to arrive?

To be honest I looked at doing it myself the first trip over and compared what I was getting as a price vs LLT.. I found LLT was pretty competitive.. she obviously makes something out of it but the convenience of being transported around and having all meals included was just too easy.. and having used her once I went back a 2nd time... I imagine trying to negotiate things like long tail boats and finding the best rafthouse to stay at would be a little challenging hence my laziness at not doing it myself..

I find when travelling that sometimes things are worth paying that little extra more to enhance your experience while saving money in other areas. I highly recommend using LLT as they run a great trip and while it might be slightly more expensive its worth EVERY cent!

Enjoy Khao Sok... its amazing! I love it! xx

4. Re: Khao Sok National Park - Where to arrive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 05:19