We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Thailand Trip

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Possible Thailand Trip

I have 30 days in December and have a tough decision on where to go. I wanted to spend a few days in Japan before heading to Thailand, but am not sure if that is realistic.

I am hoping that some of you folks who have been there can give me your idea of how to spend my time the best. Must see places, must do activities, etc...

A little about me (30yo) and my wife (26yo):

- We have a fairly decent budget, nothing crazy but more than a typical backpacker.

- We want to spend the majority of our time in Thailand. Japan is really a stop to see Mt.Fuji and Tokyo, unless there is something else you think shouldn't be missed.

- When we travel we split our time evenly between adventure activities and relaxation.

- We love beaches.

- We are photographers.

- We try to go to at least one cooking class every trip

- We try to do something out of our comfort zone at least once every trip (ie We went canyoning for our first time in jordan, we are going kayaking with whales in Vancouver this summer, etc...)

- Although the entire trip is time for us to be together, I want to include at least one very special and romantic day with her.

- We are complete foodies and want to try street foods, fine dining, cultural dishes, locals favorites, etc...

I hope this is enough to get some responses. Thanks in advance for your help.

Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Thailand Trip

Sounds like you will want to have some time (4 or 5 days) in Chiang Mai, and don't forget to spend some time in the capital for photo op's, food and thai cooking classes. Finish your time off with a southern beach area, be it mainland or Island.

Check out the FAQ's on this the Thailand forum (top right) and for some good suggestions for things to do around Chiang Mai, check the FAQ's on the Chiang Mai forum page and Bangkok forum page;

There are so many to choose from, and December being the best time of year, it really will come down to what you want. Trade off for less tourists is more time spent getting there, less services and luxuries.

No point asking for a place where tourists don't go, but then wanting all the services and tour options that every other tourist is looking for, if you know what I mean.

So Bangkok - get familiar and acclimatised for a few days, fly north to Chiang Mai ( www.airasia.com or www.nokair.com for the cheapest flights), then head south for the sand and sun.

Edited: 23 January 2010, 09:57
2. Re: Possible Thailand Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2010, 05:18
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question