We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to travel to Thailand--August or Christmas

califonia
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
best time to travel to Thailand--August or Christmas

My husband and I are planning a trip to Southeast Asia, during which we will see some yet-to-be determined sights in Thailand and Cambodia, definitely including Siem Reap/Ankgor Wat. We will have 2 to 2 1/2 weeks max and are are able to make the trip either this summer, most likely beginning in early August, or over the Christmas break. I would love to hear anyone's input and recommendation who has gone during either of these timeframes. From what I understand, the weather will be nicer and drier during Christmas, but prices will be at their highest, and tourists will be crowding sights in droves, and during Summer, it will be cheaper and less crowded, but very rainy. I would appreciate anyone's input on whether it is more pleasant to deal with the crowds and high costs in favor of better weather or if the crowds are so awful that it would actually be better to be rained on. Would the trip be equally enjoyable in the rain?December works best for our vacation schedule, but August would also be doable. My husband is a teacher, so we are tied to the school vacation schedule.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to travel to Thailand--August or Christmas

Yes December is peak season, but IMO you'd enjoy the weather more when its relatively cool by Thai standards, and mostly dry everywhere. It does mean booking ahead and paying higher prices. My only comment would be to avoid Phuket at that time of year, but there are plenty of other wonder destinations to choose from.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to travel to Thailand--August or Christmas

August less people very hot and humid - especially in Cambodia. December weather cooler more people. For us we trade the heat for the lack of people.

3. Re: best time to travel to Thailand--August or Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2010, 06:16