We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Thailand - 10-14 nigths for £800 each?

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Thailand - 10-14 nigths for £800 each?

Hello,

My hubbie and I are planning our first trip to Thailand.

We are in our 30s and like nice beaches to swim in (i.e. not too choppy or stony). We also like to have a town close by because we enjoy good food and drinks and we enjoy trying different places and get a bit of local feel.

Our budget is abut £800 each for 10-14 days.

We found the Layana Resort and Spa, 14 nights at £1965 bed and breakfast which looked great... in fact, too good to be true :(

When I contacted the advertising company, the prices went up.

We are looking at going at the end of June but we have flexibility, could be July, August, September...

Does anyone think our budget is unrealistic?

Anyone has any suggestions on cheap travel agencies?

Thanks.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,107 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Thailand - 10-14 nigths for £800 each?

HI

Is your £1900 budget including all flights? or just for accomodation??

Remember that most things that look to good to be true, probaly are. I bet the advertising company (ATOL protected???) had a tiny little from next to the price . . . they get out of jail free card. Koh Lanta does involve a bit of travelling to get to, so they perhaps only had one ticket at the price for one date . . . .

Whilst some areas on the west coast like Phuket, Krabi, Koh Lanta, Khoa Lak are more likely to get rain, and hotel pricing is 'low seaons', flights ex the UK are not as the schools are on holiday.

Most beaches in Thailand are lovely, although because of the direction of the prevailing (monsoon) wind in May - September, the sea on the west coast is not as smooth and clear as that on the gulf / east side, ie Samui.

Most folks will book their flights / hotels / internal flights themselves rather than buy a package. But if you google 'cheap holidays thailand' you will find companies offering 'deals', just make sure they are ABTA and ATOL registered.

Flights to Bangkok are selling for around the £500+ for July, £550+ for August or £450+ for September per person at the moment [netflights.com]. They can also do package deals if you want.

Internal flights are cheap and plentiful.

Although you have left it late to book, as fights generally do not get cheaper the nearer you get to the depature date.

Also have a look at Air Asia, who fly from Stansted to Kuala Lumpur, then you can fly to most popular destinations in Thailand very cheaply.

A lot will depend on where you want to go. Until you decide that you can't really say if your budget is realistic or not.

But remember that at £800-1000 for flights, that does nto give a huge budget per night for accomodation, but there are deals because it is the 'low' season.

Check out the ‘travel guide’ / ‘inside guides’, ‘hotels in . . .’ and ‘things to do’ in the left hand panel of this page, FAQs / top questions about . . . in the right hand panel of this page, and then finally read JBR / trip reports or search and read some of the questions already posted in this forum.

See what appeals to you, your time schedule and your budgets.

Happy hunting.

Edited: 05 April 2010, 18:01
UK
Level Contributor
862 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Thailand - 10-14 nigths for £800 each?

This is the kind of budget we usually work to for a fortnight in Thailand staying in three to four star hotels. We stay in high season usually Feb or March and even with the worsening exchange rate manage to get something for the budget. The key is to get reasonably priced flights if doing DIY, the way we go.

Had a look at Hayes and Jarvis and they had offers coming at that budget in June at both Phuket and Samui. Getting the Layana within that budget might be tricky its one of Lanta's best hotels. However it is green (low season) you're looking at so there may be deals about.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Thailand - 10-14 nigths for £800 each?

if you get your flights for less than 1 thousand gb pounds then you have 600 gb pounds which for 14 nights allows 40gb pounds plus .

a night.you can get a decent place for that in the boutique 3 star category, so i think your budget is fine though obviously you have spending money on top of that.

try www.opodo.com for flights and play around with different dates

netflights are good and dial a flight also

New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Thailand - 10-14 nigths for £800 each?

try to contact local agency in Thailand via email

lets-tour-bangkok.com.

They gave us $950.00 for 12 nights trip all around the country with 3 local airflifgts ...nothing could be cheaper. I was deeply amazed with their price.

Natasha

Denver
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Thailand - 10-14 nigths for £800 each?

First of all, make sure you keep an eye on the weather. If you like the beaches then you may want to avoid going in the rainy season, and I think the months you mentioned are right smack dab in the middle of it.

I'm going to translate off of the top of my head here and make the assumption that 800 pounds equals about 1,600 United States dollars. That should be more than enough money to have a great time in Thailand for two weeks.

A few pointers:

Watch what restaurants you go to. The beach front restaurants charge inflated prices for the ocean view. You can find just as nice of a place for less money only a block off of the beach front.

Try to do your own research on places to go and things to see rather than taking advice from taxi drivers. Taxi drivers make exclusive deals with businesses for cuts on profits if they get their customers to go to certain establishments. Again... these places tend to charge much higher prices than you would pay for the same product somewhere else. Beware especially of offers for "tours of silk factories". It's a pretty common scam.

Don't spend all of your time on the beach. There are many awesome things to see and do in Thailand. Some of the must do items which should be on your list include: 1) Visit the Ancient City, 2) Spend a morning at the Floating Market outside of Bangkok, 3) Take an elephant ride, 4) Go shopping along Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok and 5) If you stay in Phuket, take a day tour to Ko Phi Phi Island. in fact, take the two day tour if you can. You'll be glad you did.

Have a great trip! And enjoy the Land Of Smiles!!

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Thailand - 10-14 nigths for £800 each?

4 - Natasha

Have you been on your trip yet? What was the quality like for that price?

Trestres,

You will have plenty of money for that.. you are best speaking to a local travel agent and seeing what they can do then comparing it with what you can do online. Try reputable websites like Sawadee or Asia Rooms for booking rooms online. Alot of hotels have their own websites so contact them direct for pricing. At that time of the year alot of hotels have a pay 4 stay 8 deal (or similar). Sometimes you can only access these via large travel agents in your own country so its worth checking.

Ko Lanta is not great weather at that time of the year.. You might be better looking at some of the nicer resorts on Ko Phangan or Ko Samui or Ko Tao at that time of the year. My pick: Ko Phangan on beaches like Thong Nai Pan Noi...

http://www.sawadee.com/hotels/kohphangan.html

Look at resorts such as Panviman and Baan Panburi (Baan Panburi has recently had new huts built some beachfront). The beach here is beautiful and there are little restaurants along the beach. Its pretty remote so maybe split your time here and Ko Samui.

For 14 days I would possibly spend a few days in Bangkok, a few days in Chiang Mai (this place is definitely worth visiting if you are coming to Thailand) and then the rest in Ko Phangan or Samui.

Samui may be more ideal for having more to do... but Phangan on Thong Nai Pan Noi is a true getaway!

Have a look at my blogs at www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet for more ideas

Reet

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Thailand - 10-14 nigths for £800 each?

Thanks all for your tips, pointers and advise, they have been very useful.

In the end, we have booked 14 nights in Koh Samui. As some of you mentioned, the weather didn't seem that great in the West.

I think you were also right about the timescales and I agree we left it too late as we have come across excellent deals for the Autumn.

We decided not to do any stop-overs in Bangkok (maybe next time?!).

We went with a package deal and we stretched our budget a little bit to £1K each.

We can't believe we are going to Thailand at last!

8. Re: First visit to Thailand - 10-14 nigths for £800 each?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2010, 05:16