We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State of Emergency

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
State of Emergency

Declared in the following provinces:

Chonburi, Samut Prakan, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Si Sa Ket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan, Lampang and Nakhon Sawan

Chonburi is the province where Pattaya is located.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: State of Emergency

Hi Dragonc. Does this mean that the situation is deteriorating again. We are due to fly in 3 weeks to BKK before travelling to Hua Hin.

Jim

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: State of Emergency

The situation in Bangkok is already deteriorated. HuaHin is in Prachuabkirikhan province and not affected. I visit there weekly and theres been no problems. Same for neighbouring Cha am in Petchaburi province.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
323 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State of Emergency

So this means that all the previous talk about reconciliation and early elections are no longer the case, and now all hell will break loose?!

Are things likely to paralyze the country? I'm scheduled to arrive the 16th June... starting to look scary...

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: State of Emergency

Hi all, my wife and I are actually leaving THIS Saturday. At this point, we flying into BKK, but are planning on heading straight up to Chang Mai, then down to Ko Samui/Ko To.

The state of emergency is spreading...will the airport shut down and prevent travel to these places?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: State of Emergency

The expanded state of emergency is intended to provide power to local authorities to stop additional protesters from coming to Bangkok from those areas. The problems in Bangkok have not spread to places like Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, etc. Life is still basically peaceful here and everyone goes about their everyday business as normal.

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: State of Emergency

Thank you MrCycling.

I am just worried that the police might stop ALL travel between locations...in which case we're stuck.

UK
Level Contributor
988 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: State of Emergency

For the first time for a number of weeks the situation is being reported as headline news by the BBC

…bbc.co.uk/1/…8680455.stm

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: State of Emergency

The police won't stop all travel, the most they might do is add extra check points along the highways and slow things down. Air travel shouldn't be impacted by the expanded SOE. An SOE has been in effect for Bangkok and surrounding provinces for quite a while now and has had little impact on intra-Thailand travel services (airport, bus and trains to outlying provinces).

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: State of Emergency

Yes, no reason at all to restrict normal travel, and airports should be well protected. Chiangmai has seen a tiny amount of activity but is mainly business as normal right now. No foretelling what is to come.

Ghent, Belgium
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: State of Emergency

Dear all,

We fly into Bangkok on Sun 23rd of May and intend to take a bus/taxi straigt to the Cambodian border. At the end of our trip, we plan to stay on Ko Mak for a week, before taking a bus to Bangkok again and spending the night around the airport on the 11th of June.

Do you think both plans are safe?

I hope all goes well for those living/travelling in the area.