We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to next ?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
where to next ?

last xmas we had a wonderful family holiday in Thailand visiting Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Hua Hin and Bangkok.

This year we will be child free for about 10 days and would like to return and do some grown up things. BKK is a given - probably for the last 3-4 days, but where else ?

We really loved Hua Hin and will be flying in from K.L.

We arent terribly interested in Phuket ( unless someone can convince me otherwise) but am liking what I hear about Krabi. Is there anywhere else we should consider ?

Also, how viable would it be to rent a car and do a slow drive up to BKK from Krabi 9 ( say 4 days).

Silicon Valley
Level Contributor
199 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to next ?

> how viable would it be to rent a car and do a slow drive up to BKK from Krabi ( say 4 days).

I personally don't think I could handle driving in Thailand, but... the highways are quite good, and there are a couple of interesting detours on the way from Krabi to Bangkok, including:

Ao Luk: longtail boat to caves (Tham Lod, Phi Hua To)

Khao Sok Park (overnight)

Takua Pa: pleasant market near the bus station with fresh-squeezed sugarcane juice and great fried chicken

If it's getting to be late afternoon, you could overnight at the beautiful Kuraburi Greenview Resort (set around a lake) in Khuraburi

Ranong: famous hot springs here, if you feel cold for some reason!

Hua Hin: market, beaches, etc.

Samut Songkhram: swimming monkeys or other attractions

bangkok-daytrips.com/swimming-monkeys-in-sam…

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to next ?

Nakorn Si Thammart has kms of unspoiled beaches.

Prachuabkirikhan is an unspoiled small provincial capital with some good beaches nearby.

Sukhothai and Buriram provinces are full of ancient history, and old cities.

Trang has wonderful unspoiled natural islands.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to next ?

thanks gents, these are many of the place I have been reading about.

Driving doesnt phase me - after driving from Dubai to Muscat and back I reckon we can do anything. Mind you we will ditch the car once we hit Bangkok.

So Krabi is really worthwhile then ? Our other option would be the islands but I dont want to lose too much time with transfers etc.....and we wont miss much by giving Phuket a big swerve ?

We would really just like some beautiful scenery, good food, a bit of history and perhaps a bit of pampering. Its been a tough year !

Edited: 09 August 2010, 05:42
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to next ?

Hey G-Day 40ishcouple,

Time to plant one of those flags into Siem Reap and Phnom Penh.

You won't be sorry,

Then you have 4 days to debrief. :)

inaspin

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to next ?

Krabi well worth for scenery

You would route via Ranong unless you in particular wanted to go to Khao Sok, the road is very winding and hilly on that routing , the fast routing is via Surat Thani road junction and then north.

Chumphon can be interesting for a night and / or then you can drive up to Bang Saphan / Ban krut but probably not worth iti f you have done Krabi already for beach time.

Prachuap Khiri Khan (beautiful bay ) for a night and then perhaps another night in Dolphin Bay area to see Sam Roi Yot National Park..

Or a Dragonc says head over to Nakhon Si Thammarat area and then north.

I would leave the car in Hua Hin and get a car service if heading to airport otherwise take the train or van service into Bangkok.

One issue though is that you would need to use a rental company with locations both pick-up and drop location, i.e Budget or Avis - but you can get caught on high 'drop charges'.

I think Budget did a deal where if you rented for 5 days or more there was no drop charge, you would need to check http://www.budget.co.th

Otherwise try Krabi and then perhaps around that area, perhaps Khao LaK and Khao Sok or go south from Krabi. As D says places such as Buriram etc may well interest.

Edited: 09 August 2010, 08:36
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to next ?

inaspin, thanks we did in fact research Cambodia first but really would like some time at the beach together and the beach towns in Cambodia dont look all that flash. Also we are a bit Templed out having done Japan, Thailand and Hong Kong/Macau all in the last 18mths. Another time though.....

Monica - thanks once again. Some good tips, especially re the car. We sometimes have similar retrictions here that people dont realise.

Now I just need to find another Baan Laksasubha type place in Krabi.....anyone familiar with Aonang Cliff Beach Resort ?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to next ?

While being "templed out" is understandable, Angkor Wat is one of the seven wonders of the world and unlike any temple you've every seen, its more of a city, and if you have the chance to see it, you should take it. It would be a bit like going to Egypt but not seeing the pyramids.

8. Re: where to next ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 07:22