We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

California
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

Hello,

I am going to Thailand for the first time in February and am looking for a mix of culture and relaxation. Here is a proposed itinerary, do you think we are trying to squeeze in too much? If so, assuming we want to keep Chiang-Mai, what is the one island/beach area folks here would recommend the most? Pattaya, Ko Samui, Krabi, or Phuket? It looks like I get take a short bus ride to Pattaya from Bangkok; the rest would require a flight?

Day 1 - arrive Bangkok (visit Wat Phra Kaew, Wat Pho)

Day 2 - go to Ayuthaya

Day 3 - go to Chiang-Mai in the morning, walk around, visit the Night Bazaar

Day 4 - stay in Chiang-Mai, visit Wat Phrathat Dol Suthep and Wat Chedi Luang

Day 5 - go to Pattaya (via Bangkok)

Day 6 - Pattaya

Day 7 - go to Ko Samui

Day 8 - Ko Samui

Day 9 - Go back to Bangkok

Day 10 - fly back home

Thanks so much!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

I would leave Pattaya out and spend more time on Samui,say 3-4 days of relaxing before heading back to BKK.

California
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

Hi John,

I get the sense that Koi Samui/Phuket/Krabi are better beach destinations than Pattaya, which gets a lot of tourists because it is so close to Bangkok.

I also heard the best beaches would be in Phuket or Krabi, particularly if I also want to do outdoor activities (sailing, kayaking, etc.).

Do you have any thoughts there?

Thanks,

Sumir

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

Pattaya is nowhere near as good as Ao Nang,Krabi or Kata Noi in Phuket.Pattaya caters for the se*x tourists mainly and i'd spend my time in Ao Nang,Kata or Samui.

In February,Samui has just finished the monsoon season and the weather will be great,last time i was there in Feb. for 21 days,it didn't rain once.

Samui is small and you can ride around it on a motorbike in about an hour and in 4 days you would have done/seen everything.

Take a look at the site,you can also book all your accomodation directly and save 30-40% from travel agents prices.

sawadee.com

Feel free to ask anymore questions,i wish i was going back in Feb.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

Hi,

Pattaya : dirty waters, but most travelers don't go there to have a swim... a dive maybe.

Samui : more problems reported by tourists with the local mafia and the corrupt police. Nothing dramatic yet, but not encouraging.

That's why I suggest Krabi. Beautiful beaches, waters & landscape. Possibility to visit the nearby islands. Nice activities like rock climbing. Cheaper than Phuket.

About your Chiang Mai stop you can include the Wat Chedi Luang in your 'Day 3' walk around, as well as a visit to the Warorot Market, an interesting contrast with the Night Bazaar.

The visit of Doi Suthep is better in the morning or late afternoon. You should take a few hours for a traditionnal massage. And if you are there on a Sunday, don't miss the Sunday Market on Taphae Gate.

Have a good trip

Bangkok, Thailand
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

Koh Samui has become a dangerous destination. Recent letters to Postbag in the Bangkok Post have warned tourists not to go there. According to the letters, there is no protection for tourists who have been attacked and robbed. Even residents of Koh Samui say it has become a scary place. It cites rampant police corruption with ties to the local mafia. I have no first hand knowledge of this, but there have more than a few letters to the Bangkok Post on this subject.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

Wow,local Samui mafia.That must be scary.

What a joke!!!!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

The scariest thing i have seen on Samui is the Ladyboys covered in makeup riding their mopeds at 2am trying to pick up drunk men.

No-one's that drunk!!!

California
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

So John/Doc, it sounds like Krabi or Phuket would clearly be better than Pattaya?

If I was to compare Krabi or Phuket, where are the main differences between the two? Sounds like both have good beaches, rock climbing, sea kayaking, etc.?

Thanks so much for your help.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

Yes,steer clear of Pattaya.Phuket would be the easiest because there is only one flight per day from Chiang Mai direct,all the other flights are via Bangkok which will waste a lot of time.

Thai air are the only airline that fly CM to Phuket direct,so check their website for scheduling.After flying into Phuket,Krabi is another 2 hour road trip,so it all depends on how much travelling you want to do,but you'll have a great time at both Phuket and Krabi.Phuket is much bigger and much more touristy.If you do decide to stay at Krabi,you can fly from Krabi back to Bangkok.

Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Comments on a suggested first-time itinerary?

I have been to thailand a few times and have only been to samui, phuket and bangkok... the best place i have been is samui never seen any mafia or any violence or muggings it is the most pleasent and happy place i have been. please dont let a couple of letters tell you otherwise!!! the people are the friendliest i have ever met and the service is second to none!

go to the full moon party if it is on, on koh pangan! go there anyway the party atmosfear is amazing.

phuket is not as nice as samui and bangkok is crazy!

spend as much time as you can in samui its great.

enjoy!!!