We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR- Amazing trip. Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Phuket

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
JBR- Amazing trip. Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Phuket

Well we are back in the real world after 15 days in Thailand and what an awesome 15 days it was!

We flew to Bangkok via KL on Air asia and arrived at 5pm. We had a 3 hr gap between arriving in KL and departing for Bangkok which left us heaps of time. We had collected luggage and gone through customs etc all in 25min. We then got some lunch and still had about and hour and a half to kill. I had orinally booked the flight with a 6 hour gap so was very glad I changed it to the earlier one.

We arrived at hotel and then went out for a wander.

The next day we went to Dreamworld which was about a 30-40 min drive and then a full day there. It Was worthwhile as it only cost about 30 australian dollars and the kids had a ball.

The next day we headed to Kanchanaburi. We hired a private driver as we were not doing a guided trip. We went to the floating markets on the way which we thought was a waste of money as it cost us about $85 australian and its really just markets on the waters edge. It was good but not worth the money. We then went to the cemetary and museum which was very interesting. We had lunch at the Bridge in the floating restaurant and then headed to the tiger temple.

The tiger temple was the highlight of our trip. We arrived and it was very hot and all tigers were sleeping so myself and my 2 kids had photos and then there was a huge crack of thunder and it poured down. With the rain and drop in temperature the tigers just came alive. My husband didnt get a photo as they were too lively to go near but they were trying to pounce and play with each other and it was lovely to watch. We went and saw the cubs and played with them and then went back to do the evening excercise session. This was fantastic although a little scary. We were in a cage(only us and 2 other people did it) and the cage comes up to your chest so you know that if the tiger wanted to eat you it really could. They let the tigers loose and you watch them play in the water and run around. They are so lively and playful I cant see how they could be drugged (but I certainly dont want to start a war about it so please dont email me if you have an arguement to give)

We left there about 4.30pm and went to the Boutique river rafts which were fantastic.

The next day we went to hellfire pass and did the 2.5km walk which was very moving- even for our children. We then went and checked into the royal river kwai resort and had a crusiy arvo before our elephant bathing tour at 4pm.

We went for a brief elephant ride through the jungle and then they un saddled the elephants and we rode them into the water and scrubbed them. It was wonderful. They would put their head under and then come up and spray us with water.

We had such full days we were usually in bed and asleep by 9pm.

The next day we headed back to bangkok and just did some sight seeing.

Twice in bangkok we went to the night Bazaar markets at Lumpini park. They have fantastic food and heaps of markets. They dont open till about 7pm though so only a night time thing.

We had 4 beers & 4 cool drinks, 2 entrees and 5 main courses(my son had 2 as he eats alot) and it only cost $23. So cheap yet so yummy!

The following day we headed to Phuket and stayed at Kata beach. It is much quieter hear then patong but the beach is picture perfect . The sand is perfectly white and soft and in the ocean there has next to no seaweed or shells and the water is aqua blue.

We went to the beach most days and spent hours there as the kids hired boogie boards and played in the waves. We had sun lounges & umbrellas through the hotel but if you dont you can hire them for 100THB for 2 lounges for the whole day.

Phuket was one week of relaxing with reading, beers, swimming, beers, shopping, more beers & more beers.

We did hire mopeds for a day and I had a accident after only a few hours with my son on the back(he's 11). A thai man in a 4wd saw my husband and daughter go past but didnt see me and he started doing a u-turn right in front of me and we had no where to go so plowed straight into the side of him. We were incredibly lucky as I only had grazes and brusing over both legs and one shoulder and my son didnt get a single scratch( he landed on me)!

It was very scary for a while as all the police came and We were wondering if we were going to get bribed but there was a local taxi hut and they saw the crash and were really lovely. They came and said it was the other guys fault and to not worry and they did all the talking to the police etc. The local massage ladies came and cleaned up my legs while we waited for the police and were really sweet getting me a chair and drink.The thai man had insurance so it covered his car and the bike and we didnt pay a cent......I refused to get on another bike so it was tuk tuk's for the rest of the trip.

The biggest downfall was that I was too sore to have massages for the rest of the trip.

We went to Patong a few times as it has more shopping and night life. It took about 10 mins in a tuk tuk and cost 350THB.

Kata is also cheaper for massages etc then patong. In Kata you could have an hour massage for 200THB but in Patong most of them are 400THB. Same with nails etc.

After our week here we heading to KL for 2 days on the way home which was ok but still just a big concrete city- lots of shopping though.

On our very last day I woke in the middle of the night and started vomiting. I spent my last day in bed and then we checked out at 6pm and had to kill 3 hrs till we went to the airport. Luckily I had stopped vomiting and running to the toilet but still felt sick and exhausted so it was not a nice ending to the trip.

All in all It was a wonderful trip and we will definently head back to Thailand again!

Magnifique Tailor
Gift & Speciality Shops
Amorns Tailors
Gift & Speciality Shops
Empire Tailors
Gift & Speciality Shops
Instyle Fashion
Gift & Speciality Shops
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,664 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR- Amazing trip. Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Phuket

Hi

Lovely report, glad you had a good time [generally] and that you are over the accident and V&D.

Thanks for sharing.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR- Amazing trip. Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Phuket

Hi

What a great JBR. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, bar the accident, but its all a part of your memories of a great Thailand holiday. Bangkok is hectic, great food and markets, and a great experience and Kata beach is wonderful, and it is good to hear that the Taxi/ tuk tuk guys helped out after the accident. They do get a bit of a bad rap for all their over charging, however I have sat down and chatted with a few of them and found them to generally be nice guys.

How did you like your Airasia flights. We are flying with them to KL for the first time next year.

Andy

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR- Amazing trip. Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Phuket

Air asia was fine. We have flown with them 7 times now and great every time. Obviously no movies but aside from that you can buy food and drinks and their service is good.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR- Amazing trip. Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Phuket

Great read greent. Your family now have a lot of memories. Must say i've always found the tuk tuk drivers to be quiet friendly over the years. It's always nice when you see the same guys each year & they always remember you. cheers. CJ

5. Re: JBR- Amazing trip. Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 08:17