We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your best beach/place.......

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Your best beach/place.......

Hi all

I'm planning a 3-4 week visit of Thailand over Christmas. I haven't been to Thailand since 2004 (pre-Tsunami).

I've visited Koh Samui, Krabi, Railay, Phi Phi, Phuket and Bangkok in the past and just can't decide on places this time. As Thailand has many beautiful beaches, I thought I would pick your brains to see what yourt favourite place(s) are .........

Ideally I am looking for places that aren't over touristy and loud like Patong. Somewhere that is quiet but has enough restaurants/bars for somewhere different other than a hotel/resort every night.... also would need to have a beautiful beach and may be somewhere I haven't been before. I don't plan to stay in the same place for 3-4 weeks, perhaps 4 different places around Thailand. Also I'm not one for travelling via bus/train so would need to be near-ish to an airport or a reasonable car journey....

Don't want much do I? haha

Anyway if you have ideas, it'd be good to hear them.

Co Van Kessel Bangkok Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Boat Tours
Lanna Kingdom Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Follow Me Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your best beach/place.......

In answer to my own post, I eventually found:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293915-c142709/Tha…

Took me a while, but I knew it was there .... still suggestions and recommendations are always good!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your best beach/place.......

hi there,i believe the best islands are the similan islands(opens november).you can go there by speedboat from khao lak.the similan are 9 islands.(great beaches),one of the similans has accomodation (tends and wood house-very simple)but you can stay khao lak(from there 1.30h)many hotels.from there you can go also surin islands.after you can go south to ko ngai(south of ko landa)very nice island not a tourist place,beautiful.if you go ko ngai you must go to the ko rok a fandastic island again white sant crystal water 1.15h by long tail boat.and then you can moove to more south to ko lipe ,ko tarutao,ko adang.another suggestion is ko babboo is near phi phi(there you can stay at relax resort the right side of phiphi.from there the baboo is 30' by long tail.i hope i help.if you need more information ask.i hope you have great time.

Carrollton, Texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your best beach/place.......

where did you eventually go? I am also trying to find a balance between great beach and uncrowdedness....a few years ago I really liked Kata on Phuket, but I would never stay at Patong, it would be too noisy for me. As have been to Phuket 3x now, looking at Samui for something different, and can't decide between giving Chaweng a shot--hopefully a non-party bit; seems like Buri Rasa might fill the bill?--or Bophut, which seems to have the more peaceful thing I am looking for, but I am a bit concerned when I read that the water is not good for swimming ("have to walk out half an hour to get waist deep") and that the sand is pebbly. Half thinking about ditching the idea of Samui entirely and heading for Khao Lak, but then I run into issue that it seems to be wet season there in May, when we're going. Aargh!

....so if you are inclined...please share your experience....thanks1

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,069 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your best beach/place.......

I read an article about Koh Phayam which is on the west side (tip of Myanmar Islands). You get there from Ranong I believe. It sounded really nice and is definitely on my list of places to visit in Thailand. Also at that time of year the weather should be ok. www.kohphayam.org. There are a few different accommodation options, but nothing really, really fancy.

We went to Bophut last year, really liked it, but the sea was definitely not as nice for swimming, but great for restaurants and nice bars.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 03:18
Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your best beach/place.......

Depends on time of year, May to september Gulf side, Koh Samui, Phangan, Tao, mainland beaches Nakhon Si Thammarat, plus beaches south from Hua Hin etc.

October into November can be problematic for weather wherever.

Late November until March / April Khao Lak certainly a very good idea, and I would take the chance to go 'now' before it develops further as seems to be getting more and more popular, so good idea to visit soon. You can get to the islands, plenty of beaches plus you can easily get into a more natural Thailand and rural areas from there.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your best beach/place.......

Tried to edit but too late...

As it is May, why not book say 3 nights on Koh Samui, then check the weather and take it from there. May is getting into low season so you can afford to be flexible as easy to get place to place. You could perhaps look at Koh Tao for a few nights for great snorkeling, outside of Full Moon Party time - Koh Phangan, or head across to Khao Lak if the weather looks ok.

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/

Edited: 02 March 2011, 03:44
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your best beach/place.......

Hi Martin

We also really like Kata.

I have not been to Samui in May - only July and Sept - so not sure about the beaches then.

IMO the nicest part of the beach is south Chaweng - have a look at Samui Paradise.

We like the beach so prefer Phuket however several of our friends who we travel with prefer Samui - they prefer pools but like the ease of shopping and getting around Samui.

We also love Khao Lak but a good part of the attraction is the Similans which close 1st May (I believe) It is not a place we would go in Green season.

Why not try samui for a change - there are some great restaurants, particularly on the beach. Nothing better than eating with the sand between your toes.

Also i would like to go to some of the smaller islands around Samui. We did a day trip and it was sensational.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 04:33
8. Re: Your best beach/place.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 03:16