We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airasia excess baggage pre-pay - when?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Airasia excess baggage pre-pay - when?

After reading through the posts, I understand that there is a carry on of 7 kg free of charge per person and the check-in has to be prepaid.

The question is , when do you prepay, at the time of booking (when one does not know an estimate of the weight)

or wait till you have better idea of the baggage weight, log in to Airasia and purchase the pre paid option at later time, as long as it is more than 48hours prior the flight?

What are the increments you can add if you prepay lets say 15 kilograms, but the luggage has 19kg.

thank you.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,544 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airasia excess baggage pre-pay - when?

Hi,

You ask, "when do you prepay, at the time of booking..." Yes, that's the most common way.. But you can go back to the website (so long as the 48hr window hasn't closed) and use the "Manage my bookings" option to add and pay for any one of their baggage allowance levels..

also, "What are the increments you can add if you prepay..." They *only* come in the following pre-set levels: 15 kg, 20 kg, 25 kg and 30 kg.

A few examples with the allowance level..

If you choose the 20kg (for example) and your bag weights at 23kg-- you would them be subject to the per-kilo walk-up counter rates for the 3kg overage..

Also, if you choose 20kg (for example) and your bag weights only 16kgs, you cannot "bank" or store that 4kg unused allowance for a later flight, nor can you receive a pro-rated refund-- it is a use-it-or-loose-it proposition.. You *can* 'pool', but everyone you choose to 'pool' with *must* physically check-in at the same time *and* be on the *same* reservation (PNR) number.

My suggestion is NOT to go over as the walk-up counter rates are rather expensive when compared to the pre-pay options.. So, while I don't like to 'waste' allowance, you're better off being "under" rather than "over" in this case..

Travel Safe,

Edited: 27 October 2010, 23:34
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airasia excess baggage pre-pay - when?

Thank you very much for quick and to the point reply!

3. Re: Airasia excess baggage pre-pay - when?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 06:53