We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadians needing Visa extension

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Canadians needing Visa extension

We have a 30 day visa expiring Dec 29, but are not returning to Canada until January 12. Originally planned to go to Vietnam and re-enter Thailand for return trip home, but plans have changed. Is there a way to extend our Visa until our departure date. (Staying mainly in Hua Hin area.)

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadians needing Visa extension

i have a usa passport,was turned down at Jomtien immigration and had to do visa run to Cambodia,I think it depends on what office,and who's working.Good Luck.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadians needing Visa extension

How many more days did a visa run get you?

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadians needing Visa extension

15 days by land,30 by air,they will charge you 500 baht a day,for every day,you have overstayed at immigration at airport.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadians needing Visa extension

BTW,it's 1900baht for extension

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadians needing Visa extension

Hi,

As noted, application for extensions are *not* an automatic *right* and may or may not be granted by the Immigration officer/department at his/her sole discretion..

Further, there is no refund of the fee- it's an application fee.. and you have no statutory rights of appeal or review for a denial.

In some cases they will ask for a reason for your request and some even (understandably so) ask for documentation of this need as well.. So, it's very subjective in terms of what your odds are..

At this point, if you've been refused an extension, your only real alternative is to leave the Kingdom and re-enter under one of the applicable visa wavier programs... a pain in the rear, but really the only option you'll have left.

Travel Safe,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
613 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadians needing Visa extension

Or do a visa run to Myanmar down at Ranong (about 4-5 hours from Hua Hin). There is an island resort called the Andaman Club in Myanmar and you can do a visa run there via their own ferry, either spend a night or simply get a stamp and return.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadians needing Visa extension

First of all, you don't have any kind of visa but rather an exemption. There is no such thing as a 30-day visa for Canadians. IF you were to get an extension approved it would only be for 7 days. In the case of exemptions, as far as I know, this is typically only granted for medical reasons or some sort of emergency. (60-day tourist visas can be extended by an additional 30 days by the way.) So you need to leave Thailand and re-enter. If you re-enter by land you will get a 15-day exemption. By air you get another 30-day exemption. You're entitled to as many of these exemptions as you want, but you may have to answer some questions if your passport contains a number of back-to-back exemption stamps.

Ao Chalong / Rawai
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadians needing Visa extension

Hello boydstart

As a former B.C. boy myself I would advise you to give our embasy a call directly for the most accurate info. Try 026360540 ask for Khun Ganya she has assisted me for the last 14 years since I have been living here.

I personaly will not advise anything else as I am not informed as to your personal details/cercumstances.

Enjoy the rest of your stay in Thailand & regards from Phuket.

Richard & Megumi

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadians needing Visa extension

I don't see why one would bother the consular staff at our Canadian Embassy in a straight forward Thai immigration question. The rules are quite clear on the Thai government website: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadians needing Visa extension

Thank you all for your advice. We will do a double check with foreign affairs, but it's looking like a visa run is the best alternative.