We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air india

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
air india

was it just me who has had a night mare with air india over the xmass break ,changing flight times ,boarding cards not been availble in india and just a alot of confusion with there staff never again ! ,even if they are cheap

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
100 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air india

oh no you experienced what the average air india passenger does. We flew them once NY-Paris and it was the most terrifying flight of my life. Filthy planes, insane boarding 'procedures', disgusting food, people smoking in the bathrooms, toilets overflowing and seats held together with duct tape.

And absolutely NO regard for safety procedures, including people standing up and rummaging thru overhead bins ON APPROACH!

Never, EVER fly this airline!

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: air india

The web site is very difficult to work with - circa 1998. One example - in the reservations process you are required to put in a phone number and the drop down menu must be used for country code. So I select United States and after I put in the rest of the phone number and select continue, it rejects it because it requires a two-digit country code and apparently USA in the drop down has only one digit "1". However, you can not put in a country code because it is a drop down so in frustration, you just select india as the country code and put in your USA number and it takes. These drop down menu items are incorrect and in 2011 they still have not fixed the problem. I finally booked a flight (I am traveling with family whose tickets were previously booked on AirIndia so I had to fly this airline). Unfortunately, we had to change the return. We were charged $650 USD and then after it was all confirmed, we were charged another $52 per person (wife, toddler, infant) because apparently the seats had to be upgraded from economy to well, economy. They told me that the fares change on a second by second basis but when I had asked them about seat availability, over half the plane was empty. It did not make sense and it felt like a shakedown. I had to call four times and it took over two hours to complete. I spoke to no less than six people over the four calls (one call was disconnected and another rep asked me to call back in an hour because she did not now how to process a change request and there was no supervisor on the floor) and when I explained at the end that I fly to India at least once a year and this being my second time on Air India in the last six months (first experience wasnt great either) it just wasnt worth it and I would never fly Air India again, I was told "ok". The whole experience of interacting with their call center was just a very unpleasant experience and no empathy. I spoke to Jyotsna a Supervisor who told me that if I did not take down every name I had spoken to, then there was no way she could help me - so basically, she was calling me a liar. I certainly made sure I got her name. Now I see on the news that the Chief Operations Officer has resigned and that can't be a good sign either. Air travel is unpleasant but my experience is that the international airlines generally do a better job than domestic - but with all of the options (BA, Cathay, Jet, etc.) I can not ever see myself wanting to fly AirIndia ever again. It was just so unpleasant.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: air india

I've never flown Air India before but will try to avoid them in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: air india

Air Indua is nasty. Have flown them 2x and both times have experienced unexplained delays and even flight rerouting. Delays I understand but flight rerouting??? This was after we reconfirmed the flight the day before and was told yes the flight is a direct flight from a to b.

So delays of 2 hour, a flight to another destination 2hours, another 2 hours on the ground, then the detour added another 2 hours to the flight. So an extra 8 hours added. No explaination and no apologies.

Also this may sound increadibly racist but the passengers are nasty as well. Totally ill mannered and rude with no regards to other passengers or cabin crew.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: air india

Flew a round trip on Air India from London to Delhi and verdict is simple-avoid this airline unless it is really, really chip.

Made reservation on-line and called the day before my outbound flight to get assigned seats. When arrived to airport, they couldn't even find my reservation. We were the last in the check-in area and I was getting nervous but the agent almost yelled at me and told me to chill out. Finally they checked us in but we had to race to the gate to make the flight.

On the inbound flight, we were coming from Udaipur so luckily checked-in 4 hours ahead of our flight and we got seats that we wanted. However, there was a family with 2 and 4 year old kids that had pre-assigned(confirmed) seats but end up getting all separate seats at the airport. Kids were crying and refused to sit away from their parents and airline just told them to take a seat, until father just refused and rightfully so. It was a mess and flight got delayed but at the end passengers just agreed to move around to help out. We just couldn't believe that business class was empty and airline would accommodate this poor family to rectify their own mistake.

Service was poor, entertainment system didn't work, flight attendants were not friendly.

When we booked our flight, the price difference with BA was GBP300 so we want with Air India.

After this trip and ordeal we went through on both legs of our trip, if I have to flight to India again, I would avoid Air India if I could: poor service, wrong attitude, old planes. So think of Ryanair experience on a 9-10 hours flight.

6. Re: air india

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2012, 05:16