We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Service on Thai Airways

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Service on Thai Airways

I like Thailand very much and, generally, find the Thai people very charming and Thai food to be as good as it gets. I was, therefore, very disappointed to have had a very poor experience on my return from Bangkok to Heathrow this week. I appreciate that 'economy', means economy but, on my flight, the seats were very cramped and uncomfortable to the point that, if the person in front had the seat tilted back, it was impossible to use the table; the cabin crew, though efficient enough in providing service, looked as though they were bored rigid and would rather be anywhere else; the central screen on which the films were shown was of very poor quality; the announcements by the captain, the co-pilot and the cabin staff were inaudible due to very poor quality sound. The food was the worst airline food I've had in ages. I am surprised as this is not my recollection of Thai Airways on previous occasions and I should like to hear others' experiences. On my last trip to SE Asia I flew with Qatar - far and away better for food, service, comfort and in-flight entertainment.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Asia Hotel Bangkok
Asia Hotel Bangkok
1,494 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Service on Thai Airways

you must be a tall person john, the leg room in thai is one of the most generous afaiknow, unless theyve reduced it--

you could have requested a seat by the exit btw, theres no seat in front of you there

if the thai staff were efficient but looked bored ,so what ?

ill agree with you about the film screen picture quality (the films are cr*p too)and the inaudible announcements , altho, who wants to listen to them anyway (unless its bale out, were about to crash)

ive always had great food maybye its gone down-hill?

quatar are great but the stopover is something i wouldn,t want to do again

on a flight i once went on- the aircraft was diverted to saudi for refuelling , we were told to hide any alcohol ,twice-- then this guy with an automatic machine gun came onboard and walked up and down the isles looking at us anyway thats bye the bye

andy

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
777 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Service on Thai Airways

For every positive airline review, there's a counter negative. No such thing as the perfect experience. However the law of averages suggests which are likely to perform above expectations . Simple answer, fly with the accepted best, and you wll likely enjoy the experience, For me thats Singapore Airlines, yet to be dissapointed .

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
somerset
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Service on Thai Airways

Hi, your flight must have been the exception as i have always found the service very good in the 13 times i have flown with Thai, but saying that i hope i dont get the same bunch in May.

Andy

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
777 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Service on Thai Airways

A central movie screen? No personal one ? Thats really living in the dark ages, time to look at airlines with an up to date fleet. Only points to one thing, its an OLD PLANE ! And we all know what that means .

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,344 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Service on Thai Airways

Hi pomkitanner

No, no idea what that means, please tell us. I always thought international airlines had to meet strict safety standards. I tend to avoid quantas 380s, but apart from that...

Cheers

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,760 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Service on Thai Airways

Hi,

The complaint of the old-style IFE (main cabin screens) is one of the most commonly cited downsides to Thai's LHR service because it's run on their older B747-400's which have not been upgraded to more modern IFE.

That said, Thai's maintenance reputation is well known in the region to be of very high quality to the point that several other major carriers route their fleets to Bangkok- either thru normal rotation or by ferry flights (empty w/o passengers).. You'll see these fleets parked on the ramp at the SW corner of the field by TG's hangar as well at their other base in U-Tapao airport, not far from Pattaya & Rayong.

They are accredited by both the JAA (European) as well as FAA (American) regulators to do both line work as well as heavy checks. So if there's any assertions that their "old" planes are any less safe-- that's just isn't supported by available data.

Thai's 747-400's *average* about 14 years of age.. Given that the 747-400 was first delivered (to Northwest) in 1989 and discontinued in 2009 (last one to China Airlines) that means it had a production run of 20 years (1989 to 2009) so, an average of 14 years isn't all that old.

I'd also note that there are still some -100 series aircraft in use today, mostly on the cargo side and these models are well over 40 years old (being made in late 1970).. Just as it is with a car or most other equipment, with proper continued maintenance, it can safely fly for quite some time.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 26 February 2011, 02:23
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Rayong
Rayong
Rayong Province, Thailand
Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
777 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Service on Thai Airways

Although i am no fan of Qantas ( and not through any healthy trans Tasman rivalry ) they do have an enviable safety record, albeit tenuous of late . The best analogy i can give relates to the purchase of your vehicle. A new car will have little for you to be concerned with. Buy a used car and those concerns will increase in direct proportion to the age of the vehicle. Likewise an old aeroplane. A fleet such as that operated by Singapore Airlines / Qatar airways is by comparison to some others, relatively young of years, with fewer maintenance issues. My point is - its been many years since personal TV screens were introduced in the cabin. Any airline operating aircraft with only a central viewing screen is by definition OLD ! In reference to your comment relating to The Qantas A380, this was a fault with the Roll Royce engine on a very new aeroplane, and no indictment on Qantas maintenance procedures. Flying is safer than jumping behind the wheel of your car, but with everything, there are always anomolies.

Happy travels

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Melton
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Service on Thai Airways

Hi there ,yes I have to agree with you we did the same flight from Heathrow to Bangkok last year yes if you get the wrong seat with the hump under the seat so you can not stretch your legs and no screen on the back of the seat and you have to look at the big screen that is so far away from you that you can not see it ,the flight is long enough without not being able to see any thing and we have flown with Thai airways many times be for the food was not as good as other times we are going to Thailand this year and it will not be with Thai

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
boston england
Level Contributor
261 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Service on Thai Airways

we have flown with thai airways and would have to agree the aircraft are old, uncomftable and with no seat back tv's. I couldn't fault the service they gave and were very free flowing with the drinks. On the way out they never even put a film on and on the way back when they did put one on were unable to see it properly due to a big aussie who was getting quite merry sitting in front of us and moving about alot. we have since flown with eva twice and find their aircraft to be much more comftable, they are not so free flowing with the alchohol but bring plenty of fruit juice and water round and you have a good selection of films to watch on the seat back tv.s. We would not use thai again unless they upgraded their planes and then maybe we would reconsider, but they are still more expensive than most of the other carriers

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Service on Thai Airways

Thai used to be one of the best airline carriers and was always in the top 3 every year but we have also noticed a big difference in recent years . The main problem for us is the lack of personal tv screens, this wouldn't bother us on shorter flights but on a 12 hour flight the entertainment is important. However the cabin staff are still one of he nicest crews you'll find.