We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia Airlines Baggage Policy Question

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia Airlines Baggage Policy Question

We have never flown this airline before and now have booked an international flight with them from Yangon to Bangkok. They do not have an office here in the USA to call to ask our questions. We received an e-mail from them offering us to purchase baggage space in advance for an international baggage fee with the rates for different weights. Does anyone know if there is a free weight amount? Are they quoting rates for carry on baggage or checked baggage? We need some help. Thank you.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia Airlines Baggage Policy Question

Hi,

There is no free (ie included in your ticket price) baggage allowance on Air Asia, you pay a flat fee up to 15kg and then additional fees for anything above that. It is cheaper to advance purchase your baggage allowance as it will be more expensive if you leave it until you check in at the airport.

You are allowed one piece of hand baggage onboard provided that it does not exceed the dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm and does not weigh more than 7kg, there is no charge for that. You can find some answers here:

http://www.airasia.com/ask/

cheers

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,326 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia Airlines Baggage Policy Question

Hi,

Absolutely correct.. and I'll expand on that a bit with a few tips..

Whatever level (weight allowance) you buy, it's a "use-it-or-lose it" proposal. So, for example, if you buy the 20kg allowance and only turn up with 18kgs, you don't get a refund of the unused 2kgs nor can you apply it to a later flight.. If you go over your pre-purchased allowance, you'll have to pay the higher per-kilo counter rate..

So, it's in your best financial interest to be accurate in your estimation. If you're not sure what you'll come up with, buy a little more than you think you'll need-- even if you waste a few kilos... you're better off that way versus underestimating and having pay the higher rate for each kilo of excess..

You *can* "pool" you baggage allowance with other passengers **so long as** all the other people the pool are physically checking in at the same time *and* are on the *same* reservation as you.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 10 March 2011, 13:36
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia Airlines Baggage Policy Question

Both replies were very helpful. Thank you. My wife are both on the same confirmation number, however, the baggage rates are per passenger, I would assume and that you can aggregate them? When I go to their website's "Manage My Booking" hopefully this will be easy to do. Thank you again.

4. Re: Air Asia Airlines Baggage Policy Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 16:17