We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Completely Lost!!

Cork
Level Contributor
217 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Completely Lost!!

Sorry in advance for this but I am completly lost as to what to plan for my holiday. I have bough a LP book and read through the forums but just Lost. Myself and BF are planning to go to thailand early next year (around end of Jan/start of feb). We only have a 2 and half weeks to spend there. I thought it would be easy to plan but my word is there alot to choose from and so much conflicting reports. We had planned to stay in bangkok for 4/5 nights and then travel to a few beach resorts. The thing is where to go!!

I had originally planned to go to koh phangan to have a look at FMP (but would like to stay on a quiter patch of sand) and then maybe Koh Tao for some diving lessons but now I've just discovered the views from Koh Phi Phi and am thinking i'd like to go there. Also is Chiang Mai a must? Can anyone suggest an itenary for that length of time.

The main thing we need is a beach, relaxation and views.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,245 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Completely Lost!!

Hi

I am not a great fan of Lonely Planet, never seem to find them that informative.

Yes, the views in travel books and brochure are lovely but whilst Phi Phi is beautiful and Maya Bay is stunning, once you have looked at the view for a while you then look for other things to do. Phi Phi is limited with these for most tourist.

Chaing Mai is a must if you think it is a must, and only you can decide if it is a must for you.

You could do Bangkok, Chaing Mai, then a beach. 3-4 days in Bangkok, then 3-4 days in Chaing Mai, then the rest of the time at the beach. You can fly from Chaing Mai to Samui, and then from there by ferry to Koh Phangan for the FMP [there is often a 3-4day minimum stay at hotels], then ferry to Koh Tao for the diving, then Ferry to Chumphon and finally bus or train back to Bangkok!

However if you want to do Phi Phi, I would seriously consider Bangkok, then Chaing Mai if you decide that it is for you, then go to the west coast of Thailand, and so Krabi, Phi Phi and Phuket.

Don't attempt to do it all, otherwise you will be busy and won't get to see the views or relax. Remembering that every change of location will use up half to a full day travelling!

You will always find conflicting reports, do this, don't do this, do that, don't do that. What you have to remember is that we all have very different likes and dislikes and different styles and budgets. So when you read stuff you have to think on what is really important to you or not important. Everything we ever read told me that we should hate Chaweng in Samui, but we loved it.

You have to decide what if important to you and your holiday. Then stick with those!

Happy planning!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Completely Lost!!

I agree with TMitch on this. My advise is dont try to do everything and go to every place. Less being more is the rule of thumb. It give you an excuse to plan another trip later.

Skipton, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Completely Lost!!

We did our first Thailand trip in 2002 and it was supposed to be a one off holiday of a lifetime, but we enjoyed ourselves so much that we have been returning to Thailand/S.E.Asia at least once a year ever since. The trip that started it all was 3nts in Bangkok, 3nts Chiang Mai and 7nts Koh Samui, and I still think something like this is a great introduction to Thailand. You could do a couple of beach resorts , but don't try to do to much and spend all your time travelling. As others have said - you will return !

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Completely Lost!!

agree with all of the above, and yes, you will probably return!

first visit, definitely plan 2-3 nights in bangkok on arrival. you will be tired from the trip and time change and it is an opportunity to 'wake up'. visit bangkok forum for ideas on where to stay. everyone has a favourite. One tip though- we fly from london and the flights either arrive evening or very early morning. if arriving early am, choose a hotel which will let you check in. we used the grand president once for this reason, they allowed checkin at 8am (not our first hotel choice, but it enabled us to have a sleep upon arrival. we try to arrive in the evening now for this reason.

get up to chiang mai- there is loads to do there if you want to be active, and more leisurely activities if that is your desire. hire a guide for the day. again there are loads, we use paul collins but great reports on many others.

as suggested, move to a beach (or 2, if you must!). try and get a direct flight from CM to phuket or samui or you will feel you have spent all day travelling. again, visit the fora for samui, phuket, khao lak etc etc.

and finally, finish with 2 nights in bangkok to see anything you missed on arrival and do final shopping. If you shop in bangkok on arrival, leave your purchases with hotel and simply pick them up on your return through. good idea to book the same bangkok hotel!

it is all wonderful, just enjoy. we try and do some activites in the north and then relax in the south.

arctica
Level Contributor
929 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Completely Lost!!

With good planning, 3n/2d in Bangkok could be enough time to see some main sites for first time visitors.

My recommendation is to go directly to a beach destination via Bangkok instead of stopping there when you arrive, especially if you intend to do some shopping.

It is not easy to enjoy the warm, noisy city when you are tired, jetlagged and not acclimatised.

If you do Bangkok at the end of the holiday, you will also know how much luggage weight you have left for shopping. No point in shopping upon arrival and carry unnecessary heavy weight with you around to the different beach destinations...

Have a nice holiday

Cork
Level Contributor
217 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Completely Lost!!

Thank you very much guys. I think I will head to Chiang mai and then down to koh samui/koh tao. Might try Girstons idea. Might also look into touring with Paul Collins.

Just one question to make up my mind on east or west?Are the beaches and scenery on the koh samui side as nice as those on the Phi Phi side?

7. Re: Completely Lost!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 11:19