We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteer work

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Volunteer work

We are thinking of taking a career break, spending some time in Thailand (among other places).

As we plan on being away for up to 3 years (or as long as the money lasts!) it would be good to get involved in local projects.

I've found a few websites offering to organise the gap year for us, but we don't want to be that prescriptive. Can anyone point us to any resources which may help identify opportunities for us to contribute in some way?

I'm happy to have a go at most things, whether teaching English, helping with conservation projects, or physical labour.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks

Deb

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteer work

Check out this site

www.carryforkids.org

You can go and visit kids at the orphanages/schools and offer your time teaching/playing/visiting with them and/or bringing supplies they may need(click on their "wish list" for items each branch needs)

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteer work

Thanks, thats a really good start.

London, England
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteer work

www.volunteering.org.au/thailand_p.html

www.karenhilltribes.org.uk/teaching.htm

The first website seems to have several interesting short term placements, and the second points to a slightly longer term one. Sounds like you'll have a great experience whatever you choose to do, and kudos to you on your generosity!

Bankok
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteer work

Try www.thailandexperience.com who can arrange a TEFL course with a guaranteed job placement and visa.

Cheers

J

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteer work

Be aware that even if you are doing volunteer work for free you will need a work visa.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteer work

Try the Tsunami Volunteer Centre based in Khao Lak at

http://www.tsunamivolunteer.net/english/

"The lifeblood of the Tsunami Volunteer Center is a volunteer population that, whether from a neighboring town or a 15-hour airplane ride away, comes here first and foremost to help other people. The Center provides the framework for service-minded, results-oriented volunteers to contribute on life-changing levels. In the first nine months alone (after December 2004), more than 3,500 volunteers from 51 countries joined our team, with confirmed arrivals well into the following year."

7. Re: Volunteer work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2008, 14:43
BhamBrum
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Volunteer work

I have just finished a 6 weeks volunteer project working with Andaman Discoveries and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you’re looking to volunteer and get a true Thai experience I would strongly recommend getting in touch with Andaman Discoveries (info@andamandiscoveries.com).

Andaman Discoveries is based in Khuraburi, but during my project I took part in home-stays on the islands of Tung Nang Dam, Bak Jok, Tung Dap and the village of Ban Talae Nok. At these villages we took part it various activities such as clearing jungle paths, planting trees, beach clearance, building bridges, teaching English, digging drains, making soap, Thai cooking, sign making, soap making and loads more. I worked alongside people still suffering the effects of the 2004 Tsunami and really felt I had made a difference in people’s lives.

Andaman discoveries are a none profit organization trying to bring eco tourism to one of the most beautiful areas of Thailand. If you plan on traveling to Thailand but would like to avoid the classic tourist areas Andaman Discoveries is for you! If you don’t fancy a 6 week project a met other volunteers who were only doing a week & other who were only doing a few days as they traveled through Khuraburi.

9. Re: Volunteer work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 08:21