We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
217 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Where to visit

Hi,

We're thinking of traveling to Thailand for two weeks. I really know nothing about it and there is SO much to know. Could anyone make some suggestions as to where to stay? Should we just buy flights and then find a hotel when we get there? Should we try to split up our stay and stay in two different areas? We are thinking the end of June into the beginning of July. Any suggestions would be helpful and welcome!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to visit

i don't know how long you want to spend at a beach resort but you could do Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui or Bangkok and Koh Samui, don't go to the andaman side where Phuket is located as it's monsoon weather in June and July.

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
217 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to visit

We do like beach resorts, but we are looking to try and keep it affordable. So maybe a week in a place that we shouldn't miss, and maybe a week at a beach resort. Do you know, would it be cheaper to find a hotel when we get there, or book in advance. What about the cost of eating and drinking? We're the type who will eat a light lunch and sightsee all day, then go out for dinner and drinks.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to visit

You will be going in the off-season so there may be some good deals on flight and hotel packages that you can book with a travel agent in BKK. I've done this and was happy with the deals I got. You do have the option of waiting. A good idea... it allows you to watch weather patterns for the week or so up to your trip. I would not rush into a location just yet.

I would split up my stay in this way, if you intend on doing two locations:

4 days in BKK, maybe a river location?

5-6 days on Samui (I've done Phuket and it did not rain all that much)

another few days in BKK, in a city center location for the shopping (which is fantastic in BKK)

Yes, you could visit three places, but that involves more travel time and expense. Your idea of starting with two places will allow you to get a better feel for those places.

Happy planning!

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
217 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to visit

The problem I'm running into is that if I buy the airfare separate it is way more expensive, than if I were to book airfare and hotel together. I've been looking at places in Chiang Mai and it looks pretty affordable. That is, until I go to book separate. Packages I was looking at cost around $1800 per person for 12 days, flight and hotel.

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
217 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to visit

Since we're only going for around 12 days I want to make sure that our time is well spent. What do you think is a good amount of time to spend in Chiang Mai? We'd also like to do some sort of beach/water area as well. Samui was recommended, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to visit

I love Chiang Mai - I think there is heaps to do.

But everyone travels differently. CM comes to life in the night, every night there are night market, but I like that I can wander around the streets or go sight seeing thru the day.

If you are there on weekend the Sat night markets are great, I found you passed 100 people before you passed another westerner, so being a big local tourism spot the food at the market was good too.

Plus the big sunday markets at Tha Phae Gate are good and if you keep walking all the way down that street you pass some cool temples.

We stayed at Raming Lodge, just around corner from Tha Pae gate and a walk down the road (5min) to the night markets, yet had little bars in both directions too - which I like.

Have a look at sights like sawasdee.com for hotels, really good for reviews and prices.

packages are often good but look at reviews of the hotels on offer as staying somewhere crap will put you off the whole place.

Dont forget the packages are often cheap because of the bulk deals, but you can always book say a 7 night CM stay and break it up yourself with a trip to Phuket or Koh Samui, or krabi for the beach scene.

Play around, I have always booked everything myself and the one thing i have learnt is there is no set rule. Sometimes the hotel is cheap on a site like here or asia rooms or sawasdee and sometimes cheaper direct - you really never know they are all different so look at all options.

Same with flights, I love Thai, but we also use Bangkok Airways for domestic jumps too.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to visit

Hi

In my opinion I'd fly to Bangkok but head straight to Chiang Mai, stay for 3 or 4 nights, then head to Koh Samui (well Koh Tao if I'm honest) for 4 or 5 nights then back to Bangkok for the remainder before flying home. You'll get a good taster.

Hope you have a great trip

8. Re: Where to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 00:17