We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explore Chiang Mai by scooter.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Explore Chiang Mai by scooter.

When was your last self induced adrenaline fix?

After seeking advice from our awesome guesthouse owner we hired a motorbike/scooter.  The purpose, to explore Bo Sang, outlying towns and ascend the mountain to Doi Suthep.

Others had told us to get a red taxi or a tuk tuk but the motorbike was a more attractive option.  My girlfriend and I hired a bike for 600bht, it was a larger, 125 brand new Honda and included insurance - great option.

The map we had was not-to-scale but the street signage is fairly clear and friendly shopkeepers were happy to give directions. The markets in Bo Sang sell all manner of products from wooden decorative pieces, hand-painted umbrellas, clothing and gifts. The stall holders are relaxed and not in your face to buy their stuff. When asked, they even provided 101 Thai numeracy/counting lessons!  

We visited a ceramic factory.  It was great to have access to local people producing fine products.  Although watching people do their work is a little condescending it was amazing to see how products came to life.

Back on the bike and onto a highway which took us to  Doi Suthep. The road changed from a chaotic arterial to a winding hilltop climb. The views of the city on the way up were spectacular. After a steep ascent, we arrived at the base of the temple grounds.  There were a lot of tourists as well as souvenir sellers. We left the bike and climbed the hundred or so steps to the gates of the golden Wat. Admission is 30baht and proceeds from this go towards its upkeep and maintenance. 

After a few moments of reflection, we made our way back to the bike and descended the mountain at great speed! The traffic of the city was a shock to the system after having the road to ourselves. But we quickly adapted to the chaotic order. 

The bike is resting back at the guesthouse and we've dusted off the day, now sitting in a cool little laneway bar enjoying a couple of drinks and laughing about our day, we both agree it's definitely a great way to explore Chiang Mai.

Cheers!

Edited: 19 November 2011, 13:48
Doi Inthanon
Mountains, National Parks, Scenic Drives, Lookouts
Doi Mae Salong
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Lookouts
Mon Jam
Mountains, Farms, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Lookouts
Leicester
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Explore Chiang Mai by scooter.

Great to see that you arranged your own mode of transport. We like to be a bit more independent and are hoping to visit Chiang Mai next year. Do you need to be an experienced bike rider as my usual mode of transport is my car. Did hire mopeds in Greece about 25 years ago, fun experience but cannot say that the mopeds were well maintained. Remember riding up and down the hills, pitch black except for the lightning lighting up the roads and not all the bikes having working headlights? How long did you hire the bike for?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Explore Chiang Mai by scooter.

Some experience will help but more importantly you need to have your wits about you. I found the key to be, don't hesitate and go with the flow.

We hired the bike for 24hrs from a place called Infinity. 24hrs is literally 24hrs e.g. 10am to 10am.

Have a good ride.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Explore Chiang Mai by scooter.

You said awesome guesthouse owner...Where are you staying??Looking for same for June.Do you recommend where you are?Name and contact please.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Explore Chiang Mai by scooter.

We stayed at the Siri Guesthouse. The location is ideal and the owner is great, he's extremely helpful.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Explore Chiang Mai by scooter.

600bht was 3x as much as it should have been i,d like to see a copy of the so called insurance too

but you had a good time thats what counts

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Explore Chiang Mai by scooter.

G'day Andy

You're right there are cheaper options, if you're buzzing just around the city go for the smaller bike at $200baht.

Cheers.

Collaroy Beach
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Explore Chiang Mai by scooter.

I'm in Chiang Mai right now, staying at the Baan Orapin.

There's plenty of people buzzing about on scooters,locals and visitors alike.

I saw a young European guy fall off his scooter on a tight bend on the way up to Doi Suthep, so care is needed. We were going up by truck to do a down hill mountain bike ride.

I'm off to Mr Mechanics to get a little scooter now & won't ride to far.

Tomorrow I'll take a CB400 or a 750 & explore the countryside a bit :)

happy traveling

Edited: 23 November 2011, 02:57
8. Re: Explore Chiang Mai by scooter.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2012, 10:17