We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day In Bkk

ScottishFlyerEK
7 posts
Save Topic
Day In Bkk

Hey guys,

Due to a rather rubbish stopover, I'm spending the day in BKK. I arrive around 7am and leave at like 1am the next day.

Any ideas what to do or what facilities (decent ones) the airport has?

Ill probably have my laptop with me. Is there somewhere to charge this and use Wifi? Is it expensive?

Is there a hotel in the airport I can get a room and just for the day?

I've been to Thailand a few times so I wont feel I'm missing out on Bangkok but should I just go in anyway? I remember it's a bit way out of the airport? Im not opposed to spending on this stopover (hotel, wifi) but I dont have a never ending budget.

Any suggestions, ideas or past experiences welcome.

Cheers guys,

Best Seller
Phi Phi Island Adventure Day Trip by...
60 reviews
from US$90.20*
Best Seller
Thailand's Ayutthaya Temples and...
1,125 reviews
from US$72.50*
Sea Cave Kayaking at Phang Nga Bay
60 reviews
from US$127.20*
Best Seller
Elephant's Heaven: Half-Day Elephant...
69 reviews
from US$48.30*
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,673 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day In Bkk

Hi,

Ill probably have my laptop with me. Is there somewhere to charge this and use Wifi? Is it expensive?

==> yes the airport has limited wi-fi.. It's free to an extent,, you need to get a log on ID from one of the airport desks and show your same-day boarding pass.. I recall it's time limited..

Is there a hotel in the airport I can get a room and just for the day?

==> On the land-side there are no formal hotels rooms IN the airport itself.. There is one hotel that is ON the airport property-- the Novotel. It's arguably the nicest, and most expensive of all the "airport and airport area" hotels. Do read the FAQ on this matter from the RH side of the main page for a very good list of hotel options, with a short summary and expected price range. I'm sure you'll find something to fit your needs and budget.

I've been to Thailand a few times so I wont feel I'm missing out on Bangkok but should I just go in anyway? I remember it's a bit way out of the airport?

==> It's about 30kms. but there are options to get there--- taxi and train being the two principle means.. so distance in and of itself to me, isn't a real driver.. as the train is largely unimpacted by traffic and if you use the Express line, it's just under :20 travel time from station to station.. Taxis are a bit slower as they use conventional roads, but do have the added benefit of being a door-to-door service.

What would I personally do? I'd stay in town.. Nothing against airport area hotels per se, only that in the big picture there's not a whole lot of tourist interest around there.. and by going into town not only to you exponentially expand your leisure options, you'll also have a bigger pool of possible hotels- including budget and mid-range ones.

Travel Safe,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day In Bkk

I think the wifi at the airport is limited to about 15 minutes of free use (so mean!).

There are day rooms inside the airport (Louis Tavern) and the Novotel Airport Hotel but both are expensive. The many smaller airport area hotels can have some bargain rates and many provide free transfers.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-c136691/Bangk…

Whether to stay in one of those hotels or go into the city depends on what you want to do, how tired you are likely to be, whether you want a nap or a shower etc.

London
Level Contributor
984 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day In Bkk

ScottishFlyer,

I have accessed the free internet at the aiport every time upon departing.

You go to one of the information desks, you request access, they ask you to sign a register and they issue you with a slip, which has the password. The time, regrettably, is only 15 minutes and it starts pretty much from when you receive the slip. Hence, if you are thinking "Oh, I will have a cafe yen first and then check my mail" you will be out of time.

I have sometimes been cheeky and gone back once my first 15 minutes were up and nicely asked for access again. It worked once and I was denied (not sure why) a second time.

So, 15 or 30 minutes, depending how lucky you are, leave you with many hours to occupy yourself. What to do?

In terms of eating and drinking at the Airport I was once advised by GOPBI to try S&P, which I did not know before. I found it catered pretty well to my basic needs and it was clean and with friendly service. I cannot think of many people who know Bangkok's main airport better than him and for me when he speaks it is like reading the "Bible" as long as you are a believer that is.

So, 30 mns of internet later and a belly full but you still have time in your hands. What to do?

Personally, bearing in mind what bbtony said in his last paragraph above, if you are up to it, I would head into town and go into one of the big shopping mall. Probably Siam Paragon, where they have reasonably priced internet access, great food and many places to capture your interest even if you only window shop. By the way, use the airport link and you can save money on taxis.

I hope this helps and who knows with some efforts from other posters this thread could become "Bangkok in less than 24 hours!!"...bill2p, Monica4 et al...are you there? Your help is needed.

Travel safe

Giorgio Federico

Edited: 14 January 2012, 15:28
4. Re: Day In Bkk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2013, 10:22