We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving at Night with Car and Driver

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Driving at Night with Car and Driver

I'm trying to assess whether the roads in Thailand are safe enough to justify a journey at night from Bangkok airport to Khao Yai with a car and driver. The alternative is to stay in Bangkok and go by train the next day, but we lose half a day and as a result lose a night in Penang.

My concern arises from my experiences in North and Central India, where I will never be driven at night again if I can avoid it. Vehicles on the wrong side of the road, no lights, animals and people everywhere (much like daylight really but infinitely more hazardous due to lack of sun!!)

Could someone with experience of India and Thailand give me an idea of how the two compare and whether driving at night in Thailand is only for the foolhardy?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving at Night with Car and Driver

India is far worse than Thailand day or night, but the accident rate at night in Thailand is far higher than in the daytime.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving at Night with Car and Driver

We have hired a car in Thailand and driven ourselves to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai which is impossible in India. We are hiring a car again to drive from Bangkok to Phuket but we have never driven in the dark.

London, United...
Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving at Night with Car and Driver

Thailands better than India for night driving , you still might have a dodgy moment or two , but it's down to the driver you have in the end. I know first hand what you're concerns are as we've had a few near death experiences in India driving at night , like the lorry with only one near side headlight that the driver assumed was a motorbike !

All in all I'd be happier doing the drive in Thailand and wouldn't worry about it.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving at Night with Car and Driver

Thanks that gives me a good perspective. I'll go ahead. People on the Malaysia forum are advising me that I need an extra night in Penang and a nighttime drive to Khao Yai will allow me to do that.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving at Night with Car and Driver

Alot safer then India. While there will be some cars/motorbikes that are on the wrong lanes, they are smart enough to be on the shoulder. Also alot less cows on the road.

The only tricky driving will be when you are inside the park itself when it gets all twisty with drop offs.

6. Re: Driving at Night with Car and Driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2013, 10:28