We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selling phones in bangkok

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Selling phones in bangkok

Im from the UK and have a few phones to sell whilst im in bangkok. Where is the best place to do this? One will be my upgrade so will be in the box which i get the day before going so this is the reason to selling there as i wouldn't have time to sell it whilst im in the UK

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,781 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Selling phones in bangkok

Hi

you will have a better chance of selling at home or on ebay then in Bangkok.

Phones are so cheap in Bangkok and most thai's don't like to buy used

phones.

and what brand or style are your phones are they unlocked do they use sim cards. and if you don't speak thai how can you bargain or know what they are worth in thailand.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Selling phones in bangkok

Pantip or MBK at one of the million of kiosks. They buy mobiles - might not be the price you want. Hopefully its a similar model available so be easier to price.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Selling phones in bangkok

Ah brilliant. Thanks. What do you mean similar model? Ones like they sell their?

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Selling phones in bangkok

Yes Same model - more chance if its blackberry, nokia, samsung iphone ect. If not price you want go to next kiosk and see what they offer.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Selling phones in bangkok

Don't forget that Thai phones have 2/3 languages (Thai, English and often Chinese), and 99.9% have Thai language. A vendor is going to have a problem selling a phone with only English language content. You'll get very little anyway, and if you have too many to sell it might raise suspicions too. They are unlikely to buy a phone that's not sold in Thailand as buyers won't be familiar with it. If you don't have chargers (Thai style) they probably won't buy without it.

The main brands are iPhone, Samsung, LG, Nokia, i-Mobile.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 05:13
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Selling phones in bangkok

You may run a risk of violating a law. I know one person who got caught selling a phone he brought from home, and ended up having a discussion with the Thai police. I believe this was a new Iphone, and he may have had a couple he was trying to sell. He ended up losing his phone and in a very uncomfortable situation. My understanding is that it had to do with import duties. Selling what I understand will be a new in the box phone may be better done at home. What you will be doing is importing items for sale in Thailand, and that could get to be a sticky situation.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Selling phones in bangkok

If its same model mobile as in Thailand - they can load thai language pack on it. The only issue might be the keyboard but let's face it most people know what keys are what keys these days.

Known many people that sell their old mobiles - not a problem. Works best if its in mint condition and has all the accessories with it. (manual/box ect)

Think I was offered 8K last time I checked for my Tocca. (prob worthless now)

Edited: 20 May 2012, 20:34
8. Re: Selling phones in bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:41