We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Topic
Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

www.asiasentinel.com/index.php…

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

Not good news.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

Hmmm, I don't know. I've flown in and out four times in the last eight weeks. Never a problem. And am in and out about quarterly. You do see some long lines for the big flights out, but I've never seen a big flight with hundreds of passengers without a long line - anywhere in the world. At least not for us in econo-class . . .

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

Same old problems since they opened, corruption at the root of it all as usual! I am guessing it will ever be the same in Thailand.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

Really concerning. As I mentioned in a previous post, my brother had a chat to an engineer at opening of Suvarnabhumi in 20006. The engineer at that time mentioned to him that the runway won't last. I am scheduled to land at BKK in 13 days and be at Suvarnabhumi again 8 days later for my flight out. Hope all goes well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

It was reported as sinking a few years ago , hence the name "swampy"

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

Built on a cobra swamp - this is why they continuously are having cracked runways. Ground is not stable.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

It sounds like there is no way to fix this problem if it's the actual foundations that are compromised. and probably no money to build another airport.... At some point, there could be an extremely serious problem ... - well, there already is! but I certainly wouldn't want to be landing on a runway that opens up into a sinkhole - that's a scary thought.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,930 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

Depressing reading.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

I have to say that when I was there 6 weeks ago the service was great, I was worried about delays and long immigration lines but it was one of the quickest transits I've had, luggage was quick, no lines at immigration, security or check in, but i do no that that isn't the case as we've read some pretty awful horror stories here.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suvanarbhumi In Trouble

Doom and gloom sells newspapers. The Sky is Falling! sells even more.