We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Sickness

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
156 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Sickness

Hi Thailand lovers.

I'm one of these very unfortunate people who gets sea sickness, so I'm pretty worried about my upcoming trip to Thailand. We'll be taking the following 6 boat trips;

* Ferry from Trat - Koh Chang (and back again 5 days later)

* Ferry from Phuket - Phi Phi Don

* Boat from Phi Phi Don - Phi Phi Ley (for overnight camping trip, returning next morning)

* Ferry from Phi Phi Don - Krabi (to catch flights home)

I've read that the ferry's are quite bad even for someone who isn't cursed with bad sea sickness, does anyone have any miraculous cures? Or things that genuinely do ease it (not old wives tales, advice from fellow seasick people would be ideal).

You might say I'm silly coming to Thailand & doing all that internal travelling, but you only live once! I've suffered with it my whole life (and sometimes I'm lucky enough to feel sick but not actually be sick), so I'm not going to let it stop me experiencing other countries or travelling, I just have to get on with it and hope it doesn't ruin my trip!

Thank you in advance,

Laura.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,952 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Sickness

Really depends on the weather as to how bad the ride is and also what time of year you are going. Between May and November seas can get choppy in Phuket, Phi Phi and Krabi so definitely bring tablets. I don't normally get seasick, but did experience it on a particularly rough journey from Koh Tao to Chumphon (east coast) last year, I had to go outside and get plenty of fresh air which helped, but there were a few people throwing up - no consolation I know, but be prepared.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Sickness

The ferry from Trat to KC should be fine.

The Phuket - Phi Phi trip might test you though. Read a book and don't look outside.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,952 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Sickness

Read a book, does that really help FP? I've found if I read a book in a car I get car sick! Might be different on a boat though, will have to try next time.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 22:46
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Sickness

I'm not entirely sure if it works Cass but surely it's got to be better than looking out and seeing the world go up and down repeatedly?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,952 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Sickness

Maybe, I think it's the actual motion that makes me feel lightheaded.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Sickness

Hi there

Me too can't read the book in the car :( I found for the boat ) if I look out and get fresh air I'm ok. Also alot of boat using diesel fuel and smell can make it worst too.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Sickness

Read a book ???. Wow... Hmmm ?. I find open air and good visibility of surroundings . In Canada we have a patch called Transderm . Put it behind your ear ... It has saved me for air, sea and car travel .

hershey pa
Level Contributor
6 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Sickness

There are bracelets you can buy at health food stores or pharmacies that have a ball on it which sits on a pressure point to help with seasickness they use this on cruises....loved the trip from trat to khochan

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Sickness

I can vouch for behind the ear patches. It saved me on a particulary rough English channel crossing while those around me were quite ill. But beware of the side effects - I had blurred vision the next day and dry mouth and didn't know why. Only found out later it was a side effect of the patch.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,895 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Sickness

Hi,

My partner also suffers from seasickness. She avoids looking at the sea, sits down and keeps her eyes closed.