We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What clothes to take for November

Leicester
Level Contributor
306 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What clothes to take for November

We are going to Thailand for 16 days, taking in Bangkok, Kanchanburi, Chiang Mai, Chiang Dao and Chiang Rai. Understand it may be cooler up north. Do I take jeans or are 3 quarter length cotton/linen trousers warm enough. Thinking of taking a light jacket/sweatshirt, is this sufficient or do I even pack the sun cream?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What clothes to take for November

Caroline, your list seems logical to me. I would certainly take a light jacket for the northern part of your journey. To be sure, see what others have to say.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What clothes to take for November

It will be hot regardless of time of year. Goggle the city and weather averages your interested in and you can see the likely highs and lows for the month your going. Then decide.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What clothes to take for November

Hot Hot Hot - will be cooler in the north, but certainly not cool enough for a jacket or trousers.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What clothes to take for November

Always have sun-block. A non-touristy hat or umbrella (for shade) might be good. Of course, clothes, sun block, etc. are widely available locally so don't worry too much about your packing (unless there is a size issue, like size 16 shoes).

Personally, I don't wear denim in the tropics unless doing field work. Lighter-weight fabric is more comfortable for me. And the shallow pockets of jeans have certain disadvantages while touring, especially if you visit crowded tourist-oriented places with the occasional pick-pocket. (Maybe buy a pair of Thai-style cargo pants in Big C or Tesco when you arrive in Thailand?) I also avoid synthetic fabrics, which are non-absorbent and sticky (even if they may dry more quickly than cotton). Of course, people have diverse views on such issues...

Leicester
Level Contributor
306 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What clothes to take for November

Thanks for the feedback. Will definitely take the sun cream, be nice to get some sunshine in november. Hoping not to take too many clothes as will be travelling around using trains, planes and automobiles!

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What clothes to take for November

BTW, the light jacket/sweatshirt may be more useful on your local airport transfers at your end, in November!

In Thailand you will probably not need them except in airconditioned trains or buses, certain airconditioned buildings, or if you go to the top of Doi Inthanon (Thailand's highest peak). Mornings may be a bit crisp in the north. For me, a long-sleeved t-shirt (preferably not one with tourist messages on it) is quite handy at that time of year. You can roll the sleeves down at 6 AM, and up gradually as the day warms up. A couple of those could do you well (one to wear while the other was washed and is drying - or on rare occasions both at once as layers).

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What clothes to take for November

Pack light, you'll be able to buy clothes much cheaper in thailand and definitely don't take jeans, too hot.

8. Re: What clothes to take for November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 10:17