We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostel Standards in Thailand

manchester
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hostel Standards in Thailand

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of going to Thailand next year and will be travelling around a bit, using hostels as a cheap place to stay. I was wondering what they were like... I mean I’m not expecting 5* rooms, but do they have linen, safes, Lockers to put your things, aircon.. etc... Would you recommend taking a sleeping bag? I have seen silk sleeping bags, bit more expensive but light and suitable if you don’t want to lie on their things!

I have also read a bit about their culture - toilets and respect like taking your shoes off before entering temples, not touching monks... is there anything you could advise me on in general like food hygiene or pleasantries which you came across? Or any useful tips which you would like to pass on to me :)?

Another quickie (nothing to do with hostels) how do you carry money about? I will only be going for a few weeks and I don’t want to carry cash, do i use my home currency £ and use ATMs to withdraw? or do i put it into a Thai bank account to draw money out?

Thank you for your help!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostel Standards in Thailand

A lot of your questions are covered in detail in the Top Questions on the right of this page. Hostels vary from place to place and guesthouses are more common and often a better bet.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostel Standards in Thailand

What is your budget per night in Thai Baht ?

Often you can find small hotel and guesthouses for very reasonable prices.

If you give us an idea of budget per night that helps so much.

Edited: 24 September 2012, 15:51
manchester
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostel Standards in Thailand

I dont really have a budget set at the moment, just as little as possible to spend - I will be most likely take about £1000 so spend for about 2-3 weeks does this sound reasonable?

and bbtony, I have read the FAQs at the side thats how i know about their culture, I am looking at more individual experiences and I know hostels vary from place to place, I just dont know to what standard!

such as am i going to be lying on the floor or will I be provided with a matress, pillow and covers? Will they be riddled with bed bugs or are they quite a comfortable place to rest for the night?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostel Standards in Thailand

Hi,

You can find good guest houses just about everywhere in Thailand. Most guest houses do supply their own bedding but some of the very cheap ones don't.

If you use your British ATM card do be aware that you will be charged 150 baht for every transaction that you make, I would also carry some cash and travellers cheques as backup. It's also a good idea to bring a money belt with you.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostel Standards in Thailand

You will not be able to spend your own currency in Thailand. You can exchnage at FOREX currency exchange kiosks which are all over the palce or in a bank itself. ATMs are plentiful. Sure it costs a little to make a withdrawal as it does everywhere in the world when you use another banks ATMs. But it's worth the convienance of not having to carry large sums of money around wit hyou. You can makewithdrawals generally up to 10,000 baht at each transaction and even more at some ATMs. Just advise your bank on where you will be (Thailand) and during what time period and that you intend to use yoru debit cards. It would also be advisable to bring a credit card(inform your bank) as the yare readily accepted at malls, hotels, bigger restaurants, airlines, etc. You can also ge tcash advances at ATMs and baaks from your credit cards. Just know your banks cash advance limits (total and daily).

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostel Standards in Thailand

As said, guesthouses are the way to go. Some hostels in Bangkok are clean, bright and supply the basics, some upcountry might have lots of insects (they're a problem anyway in a tropical country) and might not have bedding. There's no way to give a definitive answer that covers them all. The best idea is to inspect a place before paying for a room, in that way you'll have peace of mind.

You question about food hygiene - its generally pretty good. I eat street food in preference to restaurants not because of price but its often tastier, and with street food if its cooked in front of you, then you know exactly how it was prepared. You've no idea of the state of a restaurant kitchen or how food is prepared...

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostel Standards in Thailand

You should easily be able to stay in nice guesthouses / B&B or small hotels with that budget

Just as a very rough guidline on accommodation from THB 500 ( approx 10 English pounds ) you would get a guesthouse B&B with hot/cold shower wc maybe TV and maybe air-conditiong.

Roughly THB 750 ( approx 15 English pounds ) you would get small hotel with air-conditioned room, TV, shower h/c probably refigerator.

Once you go to the THB 1,000 ( approx 20 pounds ) you can expect more than that with in room refrigerator / mini bar, hotel with restaurant, possibly swimming pool.

It is going to vary a great deal where you are going in Thailand and to many places time of year.

Where you have to watch your budget is transport, although relatively cheap it can cut in to your budget.

You can eat as cheap as you want but as long as you don't do lots of shopping and eating expensive then you should be fine.

If you have 14 days your budget would be about B 3,600 a day, for 20 days B 2,500 a day.

You can budget flight, train, bus around the country.

read up and perhaps as a first visit plan of 3 places, perhaps Bangkok, somewhere like Chiang Mai in the north and then some beach time.

Time of year does make a big difference for beach areas, for example B 750 May to october can get you a nice hotel with pool etc inc breakfast, but same place in Dec / Jan could be 3 x that amount.

If you can tell us what time of year and which places you are thinking of then you can get tips of how to get between places and even ideas where to stay.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 01:32
manchester
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostel Standards in Thailand

Thank you AjarnAndy for the heads up about the 150 baht fee for the ATM Transaction!

and I know this is really stupid, but I didn't even think about the bugs!! I guess I'll bring some form of bedding with me just incase! As I dont know where Ill end up.

I am really looking forward to trying the street food, that is one thing I am really excited about, I enjoy Thai food in England, but I can imagine it is completely different compared with the real thing, I saw a food diary the other day where someone ate something different everyday for 30 days from stalls .. some didn't apeal to me.. but others sounded and looked delicious!

Monica, That has been really helpful to me! Hopefuly I should be able to afford some decent accommodation. As for when I'm going... That's uncertain. I have been wanting to go for a while now but I havent been able to due to work and holidays, then my friend brings it up that she wants to go Thailand and if I want to join her... Nothing is set in stone but I think it will be around summer time (May-Aug) this is the same with traveling. It hasnt been discussed in great detail but I know what I'd like to do so Ill share that with you :)

Start off in Bangkok and stay there for a few nights, nice bustling city with lots going on and temples to visit, I would then like to visit Pattaya and then head up to Chiang Mai, then to Phuket and then the islands near Ko Samui for the full moon party and amazing beaches and then head down to Malaysia to singapore to get a flight back to Manchester (malaysia hasnt been thought about just yet)

I dont want it too structured as I would like to go with the flow, but those are the main places I would like to visit, staying over in different cities on the way. I'm interested in food, culture beaches and good nightlife!

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hostel Standards in Thailand

3 Weeks - BKK, CM, Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui, Singapore and Malaysia?

Oh my bit too ambitious unless you dont mind seeing anything and love to travel from to/fro. Good chunk of cost will be on getting there too.

Personally with your itinerary - I'd eliminate few spots and concentrate on the South with your limited budget/time.

manchester
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hostel Standards in Thailand

I know.. It is kinda stretching it a bit, but I don't know if i can stay any longer, the whole Malaysia thing was added on so i didnt have to go back up through Thailand and I could keep heading south through a different county ( plus the flight is cheaper..)

Would you reccommend then that I just stay in Thailand? and why would you reccommend the south?