We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

I'll be staying in Samui for a few weeks next March, and wondered if getting a train from Bangkok would be a good alternative to flying?

If anyone has any personal experience, that would be great.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

You can take train including overnight sleeper services to Suat Thani and then road + ferry to Koh Samui.

Lots of people do it

http://seat61.com/thailand.htm is a very good site to see what it is like

If you search through Koh Samui forum you will probably find posts, Cassnu will probably reply with more infor also

Edited: 02 October 2012, 01:07
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

Try the Koh Samui Forum and look through the posts

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,167 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

We've done this trip and you can either go to Surat Thani (Phun Phin) or get off earlier at Chumphon (means getting off the train around 4.30 in the morning).

Transfers from Chumphon by ferry start at around 7am and there is a bus from the train station to the ferry port.

Otherwise you get off at Phun Phin a couple of hours later and there are buses as you turn left out of the station that will take you to Don Sak for the transfer to Samui.

I personally prefer going to Surat Thani as the sea can be quite rough sometimes between Chumphon and the islands.

You could also fly from Bangkok to Surat Thani with Air Asia or Nakhon Si Thammarat with Nok Air and get bus and ferry transfers from there. There's a Lomprayah Ferry and other ferry company desks at the airport to arrange bookings.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

Thank you very much.

Is the second class sleeper train adequate, or should I spend the extra few hundred Baht and get the first class?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,167 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

Go second class, much more fun - 1st class is very isolated and 2nd class is very adequate, clean sheets, reasonably comfortable etc.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

There's several options, but how about train 85 leaving Bangkok's main central Hualamphong Station at 19:30 with 1st & 2nd class sleepers and a restaurant car for dinner, arriving Surat Thani at 07:16.

Bus transfer from the station for the 10:10 Lomprayah fast ferry arriving Ko Samui at 10:55.

The combined train & ferry fare 1,539 baht ($49) with 1st class sleeper on the train or 968 baht (about $33) with 2nd class sleeper - I actually prefer the 2nd class sleepers, they're fine. Saves a hotel bill, too!

You can pre-book via reliable train ticketing agency www.thailandtrainticket.com or just book at the station when you get to bangkok.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,640 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

You can also take the slower Raja Ferry from Don Sak Pier (Surat Thani). They depart hourly:

http://www.rajaferryport.com/

We took the 19.30 train a few weeks ago and it arrived almost 2 hours late !

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

Hi,

I am really struggling to book train tickets from Bangkok to Koh Samui. I have tried www.thailandtrainticket.com 3 times, and they have not responded to my request for a ticket. I am only in Bangkok for 24 hours before we want to get the 19.30 train, so I don't want to risk buying on the day and not getting a cabin, as its our honeymoon! I've also emailed Travex after being recommended by our hotel, and haven't heard from them either.

Does anyone know any other way? Can I just call up and they will hold tickets for me? Are the ticket lines English speaking?

Thanks...

Woodbridge, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

I just came back 10 days ago so everything is fresh in my mind. If you insist on taking the train I will give tell you my experience but I urge you to pay for a flight, regardless the cost. The train experience was a nightmare.

I had my tour guide call a day ahead to find out the schedule. Once we knew she called the station directly to agent #20 mr pi pop (the same day as we were suppose to travel about 9 am) and he said that all first class tickets with air con have been sold out and only fans were available. My tour guide recommended that we put our names on the list since they usually add more train cars after 12pm if there is demand. So that's what we did. Around 1pm we called me pi pop again and he said we now had a 1st class cabin reserved. We needed to pick up the tickets before 4pm. And the entire train stations credit card system was broken so its cash only. It was 1400 baht for lower bunk and 1100 baht for upper bunk.

We went to the train station to pick up the tickets and board our train. Btw I recommend to take the earliest train at 5:05pm. They are known to be delayed by hours and u have a pretty horrible trip ahead.

Once we got on the train my mood turned grim at the realization of what is ahead for me. Since we got a first class cabin we had a very tiny private room that smelled odd. I wiped down the window and seats with some sanitizer because you feel grimy just being there. The train departed on time and off we went. At about 7 or 8 the attendant comes by to prepare the bed for you for sleeping. He brings down the bunk and puts on the sheets. I kept my clothes on for sanitary reasons. It was just gross.

The bathroom is communal and located at the end of the car. It was overflowing in aprox 2 hours from heavy usage. Again very disturbing. The first class attendant didn't bother to clean up. He sai he will come get us when we get to Surat Thani at 4 am. All in all we woke up at 3:30 on our own afraid to miss the stop. And we stayed up until 5:30 because the train was late 2 hours. While waiting in the hall to get off I noticed the abundance of bugs crawling everywhere. They were bigger than bed bugs with a shiny back. The train is full of them. Thankfully I didn't notice until the end otherwise we would have to get off, I despise bugs. They were literally everywhere. On the walls on the floor. Just the thought now makes me shutter.

Once we got to the stop. We had to wait until 7 am for the first bus to take us to the pier. Once the bus came which was also filled with bugs. We drove for about 1.5hour and missed the ferry by about 5 min. So another hour waiting for the next one. Once on the ferry it's about 2 hours by ferry to Samui. We bought a transfer package with the train tickets for 350 baht per person and another 150 for the shared van once we were in samui. I was so traumatized by the whole experience that while we were waiting for the bus at 6am I booked our flight back to Bangkok. There was no way I was going to do that trip again knowing what I now know. Stay away if u can afford it.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,167 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trains from Bangkok to Ko Samui?

The train is not for everyone and if you are in the least bit fussy best avoided.