We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me make a choice

Kochi
Level Contributor
5 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Help me make a choice

Travelling with family and friends (group of seven members) to Bangkok this October. I am supposed to be their guide and I am expected to showcase the best of Bangkok and Phuket on a tight budget. With that said, if I have to make a choice between taking them on a Dinner cruise on the Chao Phraya and a trip to Phi Phi island what would you recommend and why?

Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,267 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me make a choice

If you are on a tight budget, Phuket is not a good choice, since it is one of the more expensive island/beach destinations in Thailand. With such a big group you may find just the transportation costs quite shocking. If you consider Phi Phi island attractive, you could stay there instead of Phuket provided that it is not too late to change your bookings.

If your choice is between the dinner cruise or a visit to Phi Phi island, I would take the cruise, unless you know that the people in your group love snorkeling. A dinner cruise will take much less time and there will be fewer opportunities for having poor food, getting sunburn, being involved in accidents, etc. - all of which of course would be your fault and/or responsibility since you are the 'guide'.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me make a choice

Two totally different experiences and if you are already in Bangkok then the river cruise will cost a heck of a lot less, Phi Phi is expensive to get to with that many family members and accommodation and food tends to be expensive too. How about taking the family down to Hua Hin, only a couple of hours south of Bangkok, a nice friendly town, with enough to keep you occupied for a number of days without breaking the bank.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me make a choice

Go to Phi Phi on a tight budget might not good , bus/plane cost about 900 - 2,000 THB (flight depends on promotions, high/low season) I mean if you will fly or take bus from Bangkok to Krabi.

- Dinner cruise price about 1,400 - 3,500+ THB (on promotions about 800 - 1,100 THB) I'm not sure white orchid river cruise still on promotion or not ,you maybe check on their website or call www.whiteorchidrivercruise.com

If you will stay in Phuket , you can buy one day tour to Phi Phi, about a price can not guarantee for how much per person and if for whole package.

4. Re: Help me make a choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 02:18