We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Phangan - Surat Thani - Khao Sok NP

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ko Phangan - Surat Thani - Khao Sok NP

Is this journey possible in the one day or would it be too much?

We'd be going from Bottle Beach to Thong Sala (I think?) to catch ferry to Surat Thani (taking 3 hours?) then wanting to get a bus to Khao Sok National Park. (2 hrs on the bus?)

We're planning to book accomodation by the park and have them collect us from the top of the road where the bus drops us.

How to get from Surat Thani ferry port to the bus stop? Is it far?

Bearing in mind we are travelling with children, does this day sound a bit much and would you recommend staying a night in Surat Thani, then getting the bus to Khao Sok?

Any help much appreciated.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,166 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Phangan - Surat Thani - Khao Sok NP

Yes it's possible in one day if you leave KP early - love Bottle Beach, one of my favourite places! From Don Sak Port in Surat Thani there are plenty of buses going into the city, if you use Lomprayah Ferry service from KP their ferry prices include bus transfer too. From Don Sak to the city takes approx. 1 1/2 hours, so it's a fair distance. Now I see you are travelling with children (what ages), yes it would be a long day, but Surat Thani is not a very inspiring place to stay for 1 night, we've done it with our kids, so I would say just accept the fact that it's a travelling day and do it all in the day, you will be in Khao Sok by early afternoon.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Phangan - Surat Thani - Khao Sok NP

Thanks, much appreciate your advice - I was thinking it would be better to just get there than have a night in Surat Thani.

Another question seeing as you've been there with the kids - (ours are 8,6 and 3 ). What did you all enjoy in the National Park? We were thinking of staying at 'Our Jungle House' and doing a half day trek, a trip to the Hot Springs and possibly the full day lake tour - haven't figured out if that's suitable for the kids yet. I'm presuming they'll have life jackets for 8 and 6 yr old?(we'll have one for 3yr old).

Thanks,

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,166 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Phangan - Surat Thani - Khao Sok NP

Sorry Alana, I haven't actually been to Khao Sok, but had friends went there this year (we were in Bottle Beach this year). They stayed in some sort of tree houses, but their kids are 8 and 7, so maybe not so good for the 3 year old. I think keep your trekking to a minimum, a whole day might be too much for the kids, certainly the 3 year old - I would contact some companys to check regarding the life jackets as I wouldn't take that as a given.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Phangan - Surat Thani - Khao Sok NP

I think the whole day lake tour is an hour or so of driving to get there, quite a lot of swimming, relaxing by the lake, exploring at our own pace and canoeing etc and not so much trekking. I'll look into it a bit more because you are right - a whole day trek with 3 year old would be ambitious!

We're going in January and can't wait. Have booked BB1 resort.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Phangan - Surat Thani - Khao Sok NP

Canoeing in Khao Sok it's fun you all will like it there. :)

Have a good trip!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,166 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Phangan - Surat Thani - Khao Sok NP

We have been to BB1 for the last 3 years, we had a Blessing Ceremony for me and my husband last year, a friends 40th this year and there's another friends 40th next year - we have been going to BB1 since 1996 when it was just a couple of A frame huts and a bamboo restaurant, things have certainly changed and our kids love it. Just one word of advice though, make sure you aren't there for the 3 days before or the 3 days after the Full Moon Party (26th January 2013) as they host a huge group of Canadian party goers and it's really not fun for families then!

I think the whole day might be ambitious, it gets pretty hot and tiring is my reckoning, a 3 year old might find it a bit much, but the others would be ok.

7. Re: Ko Phangan - Surat Thani - Khao Sok NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2013, 10:15