We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

Hi,

I am planning a 3 week trip to Thailand in early march and wanted to get some general advice regarding the best places to visit.

I have been in Thailand twice before and visited the normal touristy places like Phuket (not a massive fan) , koh samui which was much nicer and phi-phi which was dirty and over crowded.

We are a couple in our early 30's and want to have a relaxing holiday. Lie on the beach, drink cocktails, do Island hopping tours etc. We are over the party scene and won't be going clubbing.

At the moment we have a rough idea of some places we are planning to visit which are: 5 nights in koh lanta, 5 nights in Railay, 4 nights in Samui, 2 nights in koh tao and 3 nights in Bangkok to finish off the trip. We are set on Koh Lanta and Railay as we had some great feedback from friends. Just not so sure about the second leg of the trip as I visited Samui before and wandering if there are some other places people would recommend around the Krabi are which might be better???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

There are lots of islands you can visit from Koh Lanta such as Koh Ngai, Koh Lipe, you can island hop easily and some great places to see and stay, you might want to spend more time around that area

Edited: 31 October 2012, 02:30
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

Koh Lanta can hire boat day trips to Trang islands like Koh Mook, Koh Ngai,Koh Kradan,Koh Chuak and neaby island like Koh Rok for snorkeling.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

Thanks for your responcces.

Which of the places you mentioned are better for day trips and which would you spend a few nights on??

Also if had more time in the Krabi area would you spend more of it in Koh Lanta or Railay??

Thanks

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,708 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

What about Koh Phangan instead of Samui, much quieter, less commercial, not all about Full Moon Partiers, some beautiful, laid back beaches. Also Koh Tao great for snorkelling, it's about 10 minutes by boat to Koh Nang Yuan absolutely stunning.

Bangkok
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

Koh Lipe is very nice. if you like snorkeling, you will love this place.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,311 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

Hi,

I agree with Cassnu, you could consider the north east coast of Koh Phangan, it is well away from the FMP's and there are some lovely beaches.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

I would also have a look at Khao Lak we preffered it over Krabi.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

need help pls,

Hi we planning to go to thailand on july, and we planing to go from phuket to ao nang, which one better to stay longer in ao nang or in phuket? we planing to visit james bond island and 4

- Phi Phi Island tour by speedboat

- Hong Island tour by speedboat

- Krabi Rainforest tour

- Canoe tour at Ao Thalane

can help us to give information where is the best place to stay because so far i'm planning to stay longer in ao nang because it's cheaper there. thank you in advance for your information.

i travelling with children 4 year old and if you have any recomended driver in thailand please let me know.thank you very much

Regards

Sherly

Edited: 25 January 2013, 02:18
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

Do note that is rainy season in that area, how much rain, for how long, how often varies, but it is that time of year, beaches can also be red flagged and sea conditions can at times be rough, so it is a chance you take, alternatively you could look at the Gulf of Thailand beaches and islands which would have better weather. In the end it is your choice

Edited: 25 January 2013, 02:57
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to visit in Thailand?? Please help

You looks great but maybe spend a few days extra in 2 or 3 pleaces instead of moving about..

we did 3 weeks in thailand (7 in bangkok, 5 in koh samui and 11 in phuket) and we found that moving around in a small way was just too much! mostly because 2 days are packing and un packing or getting settled

It is after all a holiday and they are usually done to relax :)

just IMO :)

Edited: 25 January 2013, 03:00