We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks with family -- where to go?

tx
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
4 weeks with family -- where to go?

Hi Folks!

Feeling overwhelmed by all the options in Thailand and could use some direction!

We are a family of 4 (myself, husband, 2 boys -- 6 and 8) that will be traveling to Thailand between December and January. Some things about us, so that we can get some good feedback:

1. First time to Thailand

2. Experienced travelers

3. Prefer to stay mid-range on accommodations, with houses with yard or some space for kids to run around, with wifi, if possible

4. I don't like being constantly overwhelmed by crowds

5. NOT looking to party or do a lot of shopping

6. We have varied interests -- I like historical stuff, husband likes beach stuff

7. We LOVE to find fun, out of the way places to visit

8. We plan to have a car

9. We plan to maybe visit 2-4 locations, so that we can get settled and then go out exploring

I would love some suggestions on places to locate during our stay and then places to visit around our locations. I realize that we will probably need to stay in Bangkok (or very close) for the first 2 days to get situated, especially with the kiddos. Otherwise, I am completely open to suggestions!!

Thanks so much!!

Warmly,

--Natalie.

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks with family -- where to go?

this will be a fantastic family holiday, and the trip is long enough to enjoy things properly. I would suggest a few days in bangkok at the start and finish of your holiday- you might want to think about getting a serviced apartment instead of a regular hotel room. we use Cape House hotel and have stayed in their 2 bedroom suite before which is great- 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, kitchen, dining table etc etc. and centrally located a few minutes walk from chitlom. There are many other great placed to stay; this is just one idea.

Then go north, either fly or take the overnight train up to chiang mai. both are fine. Train leaves in the evening about 7 or so and arrives in chiang mai midmorning. 2nd class cost 880B last year includes a bed.

Spend at least a week in chiang mai there is loads to do- see that forum. some ideas: elephant camp, zip lining, rafting, canoeing, cooking school and having lots of massages. temple on the mountain, and the zoo has pandas. a few days further north chiang rai is also fun -stop for a few days in chiang dao- lots of great little guesthouses there- we have stayed in nature home garden, and also The Nest which is amazing.

Then fly south to a beach and here you must decide which beach will suit you. There are direct flights from CM to phuket airport and to samui. The past few trips we have used airasia for this and they were good and on time. last year we spent a few nights in a tree house in khao sok (see forum) at Our Jungle House and then moved on to our favourite beach area, khao lak. A day snorkelling at the similan islands is amazing from this base. Again, you can have some adventures in khao sok, opportunities to stay in lake houses, go trekking, elephanting or canoeing and so much more. next visit we plan to hire a car at phuket airport and drive around more.

These are just a few basic ideas to get you started. The possibilities are endless.

lancashire
Level Contributor
204 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 weeks with family -- where to go?

I would recomend Hua hin I took my four children there on four occasions it was by far there favourite place ,very friendly town easy to get about on the 10bt bus lots of places to visit ..I would also recomend Chang mai . Sorry can't help with hotel maybe check out the reviews of hotels and attractions.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 weeks with family -- where to go?

Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai for the culture, then do more research for the beach destination as they are all very different but Khao Lak or Koh Lanta might suit you, if you don't want anywhere busy avoid Phuket.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 weeks with family -- where to go?

Definately Kanchanaburi...and some great cheap guesthouses there.

Copenhagen, Denmark
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 weeks with family -- where to go?

we are a family of four (boys same age as yours) and we are going to thailand for 4 weeks in january/february.

We are staying in Bangkok for a few days, then Kanchanaburi and "lake house adventure", the a week in Chiang Mai, and 10 days on Koh Kood and Koh Chang before heading back to Bangkok for a night og two.

6. Re: 4 weeks with family -- where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 08:18