We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand from the UK - book through agent or independently?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand from the UK - book through agent or independently?

Hi there,

Got good advice on this forum before, my partner and I are planning a 2 week trip to Thailand in July 2013.

After doing much research I have found booking independent travel would save a considerable amount of money, but am looking for other's experiences of booking a holiday to Thailand independently from the UK? We normally always book through an agent for a long haul holiday.

We plan to book through reputable companies such as Emirates and AirAsia, and book hotels through booking.com as have used them previously for european city breaks, they also do not charge for rooms upfront and with good cancellation policies which makes me feel more secure (e.g. I haven't paid money up front to loose should anything go wrong!)

Booking through an agent is more expensive and so far the hotels offered haven't been as good as what I can find online for a similar price, however we are aware there is a little more security when booking through an agent.

Any advice appreciated.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand from the UK - book through agent or independently?

Hi

After quite a few trips to Thailand, and surrounding countries we always book independently. Like you have already stated it's cheaper and you get to pick when and where you stay rather than someone else's itinerary.

The companies you have mentioned are all good. We travel with Emirates every trip over.

Thailand is a very tourist friendly location with very good travel infrastructure. As long as you have good comprehensive travel insurance from when you book, not just before you travel I feel there's no clear advantage to book with an agent, other than the time it would take you to research and book (but that's half the fun!!)

Edited: 03 December 2012, 19:30
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand from the UK - book through agent or independently?

Thailand is an easy place to visit individually you don't need a tour operator, I would do a few days in Bangkok then head down to Koh Samui as it's the rainy season on the andaman coast. If you want less beach time you could stay for a few days in chiang Mai after Bangkok before heading south.

3. Re: Thailand from the UK - book through agent or independently?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 20:15